Termi or 2011 GT?

Stangdriver13

Jul 31, 2006
I have had my eyes set on a 03-04 Cobra for a long time and I just got a job out of college so I'm going to be in the market towards the end of summer. But with the new numbers of the 2011 GT i'm starting to lean towards a 2011 GT. Which one would you choose? Also keep in mind that the Cobra would not be any where near stock, I'm looking for one in the 550-600 rwhp range, hopefully a twin screw.

• Sponsors (?)

Get the new car. Terminators are stout cars and can built to be faster on the stock block, but you can't beat the new cars in terms of fit and finish.

I'd get the Cobra

but it's all about personal taste, I think the new Mustangs are too big (and too ugly) and have moved too far away from being a "Mustang" at all...but it's your choice, a nice, fast, big new car or a Mustang Cobra

Ive had a couple 03 Cobras and liked them but the 2011 GT is much more car then the old Cobras. If its just big HP you want then the 03/04 is the better bet but if 500-600 is good then the 2011 GT will wipe the floor with the 03/04.
Hell, they are running in the mid 10's already with a tune, exhaust, tires and small giggle juice shot! :eek:

If it were me personally, I'd grab the 2011 GT. It’s a superior car in every respect to the Cobra, save for the strength of the engine internals. In any case, it’ just as fast, or faster in stock trim and not only is it a 7-8 year newer vehicle, but you retain full factory warranty.

Yes, the ’03-’04 Cobra can be built to make and handle 550-600rwhp pretty easily, buy you'll spend as much and more on the cost of a used Cobra + supporting parts in order to reach those goals. With power like that, it should get you comfortably into the 10’s. That being said, we've already seen the 2011 GT run well into the10's with bolt ons and a little nitrous. It took $3,500-$4,500 in additional parts to do it, but you’re basically matching the strait line performance of a blower swapped, bolt on Cobra, for the same overall price, of the 7-8 years newer GT + bolt ons….and you ‘re still way ahead of the Cobra in every other category.

So my question to you is this. Are you looking at buying the best available, all around performer right now…one with a full warranty and better all around characteristics, or are you looking at buying one that's several years older, but will give you potential bragging rights later on down the road....that is if you ever decide to break the bank and tap into its full potential? :shrug:

Gotta find the two cars to compare IMO. Hard to find a Cobra with the stated hp that has not been beat on. Also need to take into consideration how big of a loan you are getting.

That being said, I've seen some decent 03/04 Cobras listed around my area for 17k-22k. Lets use the bigger number. That leaves you around 10k for mods to the car in regards to price of the 2011. Plenty of money to upgrade parts and get the numbers that you are looking for. A little left over for the stuff that breaks.

Of course if you are going to get a big loan, I would go for the 2011. That way you have the warranty and don't have to worry as much about the extra money for repairs.

Gotta find the two cars to compare IMO. Hard to find a Cobra with the stated hp that has not been beat on. Also need to take into consideration how big of a loan you are getting.

That being said, I've seen some decent 03/04 Cobras listed around my area for 17k-22k. Lets use the bigger number. That leaves you around 10k for mods to the car in regards to price of the 2011. Plenty of money to upgrade parts and get the numbers that you are looking for. A little left over for the stuff that breaks.

Of course if you are going to get a big loan, I would go for the 2011. That way you have the warranty and don't have to worry as much about the extra money for repairs.
Loan/Finance charges, lets be honest about banks and car dealership payments, you'll be paying for the car and probaly another used takin care of w/ low mileage 99-04 GT when you finish w/the 2011 and since the guy is fresh out of college why not start small w/his credit and work his way to buying a brand new Sports coupe. And we all know that the 2011, as Max said, will break an average mans bank to mod to its full potential, them Cobras are a dieing breed and gettin rarer every year, watch every hot headed kid and his Uncle John Doe will be trying to get these 2011, just wait and see.

"Demon"

i agree that the termi will make morepower per mod than anything else. but look into how many stock pistons have crushed ring lands, how many have blown head gaskets, etc at the 500-550rwhp range. so mod it for 500rwhp and hope it lasts. just my experience with them so far.

the 2011 has power potentioal built into its heads that no termi can match. we havent even seen what a 5-7 psi 2011 will do. i bet ported m112 termis are losing badly to 2011gt's.

2011 GT all the way! these cars are going to be NASTY with some blowers/turbos/spray! i cant wait to get one!

BTW you can buy my car for less than a terminator and make more power with no worries b/c everything is already built!!! not too many 700+ HP 2V's out there:D

I love the Termis but the new 2011 5.0 is just badass. Saw my first 5.0 at show this past weekend in dark blue and that car was sweet. It was sitting nest to an 03 Mach I, and it really didnt look that much bigger. I say if you dont mind the payment and feel comfortable with it get the 2011, I know I would.

For performance: the 2011 5.0. They are sick. Small shot on street tires would probably go well into the 11s. The refinedness (yes, I just made up that word) of the 2011 is also hard to dispute, along with the other technological advancements, i.e. brakes, suspension, fuel mileage, etc.

For looks and/or exclusivity: the Termi. They are, IMO, still the best looking Mustang ever made, along with the 03/04 Mach 1s. You also don't see very many of them. Heck, I don't think I've seen more than 10 outside of car shows/track events. Give it 2 years and you'll see 2 2011 GTs a day. There is definitely something to be said for that exclusiveness.

The forged internals/boost loving compression ratio of the Cobra are also not to be over looked.