Progress Thread The "grátis" 1966 Coupe - rotisserie action

• Sponsors(?)

wicked93gs

10 Year Member
Sep 30, 2006
Nashville TN
Almost there.

009F4CD3-0D42-488B-8417-D1DD3FDD7170.jpeg
Also, pro-tip: don’t stand too close to the drill when you’re drilling through metal while using a non-round shank HSS bit. Feel like I was just in a fist fight.

The car should be in the air tomorrow. I still have to weld up my modified mounting brackets.

Heh, I was fabbing something a few weeks back, the flip down gauge pod I made I think and while boring out the gauge hole managed to catch the sheet metal and buried it in my palm, cut all the way down to the fatty layer, its has healed up now and probably wont scar because its the palm, but yeah...that one stung. My fault for not having the piece clamped down or wearing gloves...just when you don't think you need to it bites you...literally.

horse sence

That $5 hooker turn out to be a guy
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Make sure your center of gravity is close before you try to spin it or it can break an arm or worse . It is usually centered with the fuel filler hole in the tail panel ,you can adjust from there 20210421_084422.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

02 281 GT

Agreed...My wife has great Boobs
10 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Cabot, AR
Heh, I was fabbing something a few weeks back, the flip down gauge pod I made I think and while boring out the gauge hole managed to catch the sheet metal and buried it in my palm, cut all the way down to the fatty layer, its has healed up now and probably wont scar because its the palm, but yeah...that one stung. My fault for not having the piece clamped down or wearing gloves...just when you don't think you need to it bites you...literally.
We never learn, do we?

My problem was two-fold.

1. I was standing too close.
2. I was using a bit that, while it's able to cut through metal, it has flats ground into the sides of the shank to give the chuck a better grip on it. One thing I learned recently is that drill bits designed specifically for metal have round shanks to ensure the drill doesn't punch you in the face because you're standing too close when the bit grabs on something rather than continuing to cut.

A third problem I have is that I'm a lefty. The drill would have swung away from my face if I had been holding it in my right hand instead of my left.

I'm alright, but boy am I sore today.

horse sence

That $5 hooker turn out to be a guy
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Drilling a mounting hole in the floor of a dirt bike trailer ,half inch plate ,my half inch bit in an old drill with the handle on the end hooked up . Good thing i was stanting up and pushing down ,it spun me around at least 3 times and threw me off and kept spinning until it wound the cord up and it un plugged ...that was a damn good bit !

02 281 GT

10 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Cabot, AR
It was worth it. Got everything mounted up and it's in the air. It's too tall to spin it inside the garage without bumping it into the bottom rail. I'll have to move it outside if I want to spin it. No big deal.

The modifications of the mounting brackets turned out really well.

dCjHZYn.jpg
Zwpxrp5.jpg
IYIVMnN.jpg
QNgnSEE.jpg
M5UJIIQ.jpg

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 3 users

02 281 GT

10 Year Member
Feb 3, 2009
Cabot, AR
Getting closer. I just need to schedule the blaster. Before that, I need to break in the paint gun and figure out how to use it!

nJaS2CV.jpg