Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

Gotta run the wires up high and tight!! Nothing should have to be extended on either side including the headlight harness which runs on the driver side and will run beneath the upper core support. Hood latch will route just fine too on the drivers side. I ran both of my 3G wires along my headlight harness under the upper core support too.

I would get everything temporarily run and test fitted with the splash guard and then start the car up and make sure all connections are good BEFORE LOOMING your wires. You don't want to do that crap twice.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Gotta run the wires up high and tight!! Nothing should have to be extended on either side including the headlight harness which runs on the driver side and will run beneath the upper core support. Hood latch will route just fine too on the drivers side. I ran both of my 3G wires along my headlight harness under the upper core support too.

I would get everything temporarily run and test fitted with the splash guard and then start the car up and make sure all connections are good BEFORE LOOMING your wires. You don't want to do that crap twice.
How did you secure your wires to stay where you wanted? I have a 'method' but I'd rather not go that route.

My tubing came in yesterday and I spent a couple of hours in vain last night. The CAI behind the strut tower will not work. The accumulator for the A/C is in the way and will not allow for proper placement of tubing with such a wide radius. So that leaves only one option -

Hack out the A/C.
Kidding. I'm going to put the CAI in the regular position and keep pushing on. I should have enough material to make at least 1, maybe 2 extra of these if anyone sees the finished product and decides they need one too.

awCVaj.jpg
ld2Mgv.jpg

How did you secure your wires to stay where you wanted? I have a 'method' but I'd rather not go that route.
I used an assortment of these. They can be found (or ones similar) at Home Depot.
Cable_Tie_Anchor_Mount_CTAM.jpg
cable-tie-express-product-2-117.jpg

My tubing came in yesterday and I spent a couple of hours in vain last night. The CAI behind the strut tower will not work. The accumulator for the A/C is in the way and will not allow for proper placement of tubing with such a wide radius. So that leaves only one option -

Hack out the A/C.
Kidding. I'm going to put the CAI in the regular position and keep pushing on. I should have enough material to make at least 1, maybe 2 extra of these if anyone sees the finished product and decides they need one too.

awCVaj.jpg
ld2Mgv.jpg

That tire looks a little bald .......:D

I repurposed my failed intake into on that fits where a standard one would. Not sure if I want to polish or paint it, but I am leaning towards paint since nothing on the car is really shiney anyway.

SEZU67.jpg

e79HXb.jpg

HO13Su.jpg

Attachments

• SEZU67.jpg
    SEZU67.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 115
  • HO13Su.jpg
    HO13Su.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 124
  • e79HXb.jpg
    e79HXb.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: 1 user
I repurposed my failed intake into on that fits where a standard one would. Not sure if I want to polish or paint it, but I am leaning towards paint since nothing on the car is really shiney anyway.

SEZU67.jpg

e79HXb.jpg

HO13Su.jpg
Ahhhh,......now you have 1st hand experience. Imagine grinding about 50 of those weld beads flush.

Then you'd have mikes exhaust manifold, mikes exhaust, mikes cold side, mikes dash, mikes console, and one Gila hole.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

That's why I bought the TIG, but kinda pointless considering all of that stuff was already done by that time.

Ahhhh,......now you have 1st hand experience. Imagine grinding about 50 of those weld beads flush.

Then you'd have mikes exhaust manifold, mikes exhaust, mikes cold side, mikes dash, mikes console, and one Gila hole.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

That's why I bought the TIG, but kinda pointless considering all of that stuff was already done by that time.

I was hoping to *eventually* make the welds pretty enough to leave them alone and not have to knock them down. Tough with a MIG, but the last few inches last night were good enough to leave be. I plan on making a couple more of these to sell (already have one spoken for apparently) so maybe tonight I can apply what I learned on the previous to the next. I wish I had a TIG to play with, but not yet.

I want to give a shout out to Steve @ HosePimp.com. Although he didn't have the pieces for my application, he took the time to understand what I was making and offer a few other solutions, even though he wasn't going to make a dime. If you need silicone couplers for your build, this is the man to get them through.

I did finally find what I needed on eBay (of course) so I ordered them. Since this is a N/A application, I'm not too worried about using cheap couplings for the CAI.

Oh, sorry. Hoopty, is this your dollar? I was walking in here and I found this dollar on the floor. It has some writing on it:

You should do an exhaust. :D
Sounds like someone beat me to production. I was about to file for a patent, too. :p Seriously though, $250?!? I have $75 invested so far, and that's counting the extra material I have to make another one and sell it to the local guy that wants one.

Not sure, but I have a buddy that does excellent work and cuts me deals.

Can I be his friend too? :D I wouldn't mind having my pipe polished.

Edit: seriously though. I recognized your inlet pipe. It looks very similar to the one in my car. :) IT's crazy how close the turns and bumps are. I guess there really is just one way to skin a cat. Someone should tell @Jinx so he doesn't waste any more time on that project. :chin

Can I be his friend too? :D I wouldn't mind having my pipe polished.

Edit: seriously though. I recognized your inlet pipe. It looks very similar to the one in my car. :) IT's crazy how close the turns and bumps are. I guess there really is just one way to skin a cat. Someone should tell @Jinx so he doesn't waste any more time on that project. :chin
Well, I modeled it after the PP but since I don't have to use the existing hole, I moved it closer to the shock tower so it tucks in a little more and doesn't look like a donkey D hanging out. I don't like the intake routing on these cars. Looks like an afterthought. Unfortunately, my method to get around it failed miserably.

I paid $200 (shipped) for my Anderson n/a PP that comes with the coupling, elbow, quality metal band clamps and ceramic coating. If you have $75 into making your pipe and you haven't coated it yet and you wanted to get paid for your time then I'd think that $200 shipped is a very fair price considering what it takes to make them.
And it looks clean as f*ck too! Yours will too I'm sure :nice:
engine with AFM pipe.jpg

Man I love that engine bay, no promises that I won't be welding holes and tucking my 90' hatch one of these days ;)

I paid $200 (shipped) for my Anderson n/a PP that comes with the coupling, elbow, quality metal band clamps and ceramic coating. If you have $75 into making your pipe and you haven't coated it yet and you wanted to get paid for your time then I'd think that $200 shipped is a very fair price considering what it takes to make them.
And it looks clean as f*ck too! Yours will too I'm sure :nice:
engine with AFM pipe.jpg

Man I love that engine bay, no promises that I won't be welding holes and tucking my 90' hatch one of these days ;)
Not trying to make money, just make my money back ($50)