the new mustang too heavy?

palmer22

Nov 7, 2004
the new mustang just weighs too much. with two 150lb people in it with gas this thing will weight in easily at 3,800lbs or more and the shaker or 18" wheels will add more weight.

ford should have worked on weight reduction a lot more to make this thing run faster. the extra hp is great but the added weight takes away from some of it.

• Sponsors (?)

palmer22 said:
the new mustang just weighs too much. with two 150lb people in it with gas this thing will weight in easily at 3,800lbs or more and the shaker or 18" wheels will add more weight.

ford should have worked on weight reduction a lot more to make this thing run faster. the extra hp is great but the added weight takes away from some of it.

The Ford Mustangs "competition" weighs 300lbs more and it runs similar to the Stang in the performance area.

A GT Auto weighs 3500 curb + your 300lbs people=3800lbs. Why are you concerned about the weight? Weight should only be of a concern when/if you are racing...then you shouldn't have the additional person in the car!

SVTdriver said:
I have not heard to many people concerned with weight while drag racing. At least not if they have a second person AND a full tank of gas.
How come? I had 4 people in mine, full tank of gas, and a trunk full of groceries :D

"Weight should only be of a concern when/if you are racing..."

"I have not heard to many people concerned with weight while drag racing."

What are you guys smokin'? Less weight is ALWAYS better. The car accelerates quicker, handles better and stops better. Less weight is all upside - unless of course you plan on hitting or being hit by another car. In which case you're driving a big SUV anyhow.

Palmer/phoenix hit the nail on the head - the 05 Stang is a porker. No way around it. R&T just published their test - 13.9 at 101. In the last 15 years they've managed to build a GT that's not any quicker than a Fox Notch with gears and drag radials. It handles better than it did, but too heavy/not enough power.

GM will unleash something in the next year or two - Camaro or Chevelle based on the LS2 motor - it will also be too heavy -- but, it will have 400HP. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to do the math. Either make it lighter or give it more HP. I prefer less weight.

The next SVT Cobra will have IRS and (I hope) a 5.0l Cammer V-8. The 04 SVT Cobra's V-8 must weigh a lot with that iron block and supercharger.

Don't forget that the new Mustang handles AND rides better than the previous one and is also safer.

rick kap said:
The next SVT Cobra will have IRS and (I hope) a 5.0l Cammer V-8. The 04 SVT Cobra's V-8 must weigh a lot with that iron block and supercharger.

Don't forget that the new Mustang handles AND rides better than the previous one and is also safer.

The 5.0L Cammer is not approved for production vehicles. It is a race only engine.

palmer22 said:

Go buy a Miata.

Don't compare the new Stang's weight to the old notch.
The new stang is
1) Safer
2) FAR more comfortable
3) Handles many times better
4) Many more amenities
5) Bigger interior
6) Able to meet emmissions.

I have an SN95. I had a Fox ttop (gone now) at the same time. Yes, the Fox was a blast. The SN95 was far heavier. To travel 200 miles on a trip , do you think I would take my Fox.. :nonono:

I feel much safer in the '95 and MUCH more comfortable. I drive the 95 in the winter. The fox would be certain death.
The Fox would never pass any kind of emmissions test. The Fox rattled my teeth and bones. Yes, it was fun as hell, but guess which one was a preference for driving anywhere but the track?

If you want a 2005, buy one. If you want to use it for the track, yank the stereo, rear seat, A/C and the soundproofing material, remove the window motors and spare tire, put offroads (any idea how heavy catted pipes are?) and a racing seat. After that you would a car that would be lighter than a Fox, faster than a Fox, and still kick butt on a roadcourse - not to mention being many times safer, less all the rattles and a smoother ride.

Next step for me is to replace my SN95 with an S281. Probably in a year or two.

I wouldn't live or die by the quoted numbers from the rags, they should be to just get an idea of what these cars run. It's not much heavier then the outgoing mach 1 (still much lighter or close to other competition) with similar power, better suspension and weight bias, I really don't see what all the hoopla about being so heavy is all aboot. :shrug:

nis350ztt said:
If you compare it to another ~300hp coupe with a backseat (Infiniti G35 Coupe), it weighs less than that, although I do think it could lose about 200lbs.

How does this compare to a GT:
2004 Nissan 350Z Roadster
Base price: $37,620 (Touring model as tested w/manual transmission)
Engine: 3.5-liter DOHC V-6, 287 hp/274 lb-ft
Drivetrain: Six-speed manual or five-speed automatic, rear-wheel drive
Length x width x height (inches): 169.4 x 71.5 x 52.3
Wheelbase: 104.3 inches
Curb weight: 3462 lb (manual transmission)
EPA City/Hwy: 20/26 mpg (manual transmission)
Safety equipment: Dual front airbags, traction control
Major standard equipment: Automatic temperature control, speed-sensitive power steering, viscous limited-slip rear differential, tempered-glass rear wind deflector, lockable luggage box behind passenger's seat

Same weight as a GT, no glovebox, and no trunk to speak of, and no back seat! EPA 20/26 with PREMIUM fuel? The Stang gets the same milage on REGULAR!

I said the G35 Coupe, not 350Z Roadster, 2-seater convertible, it does have a trunk about the size of my bro's 03 GT's.

Now the G35 Coupe:
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/edmunds/VehicleComparison;jsessionid=BRLW90yL5DAigbEAok2Hy5CHYpXjMGYVcriak1c51V8QsAn986eU!1327292148?op=4&tab=&isbasecar=true&modelid=100503582&styleid=&refid=&maxvehicles=5&vehicleindex=&removestyle=&numCars=2&just=center&modelId0=100503282&styleId0=100464180&modelId1=100505192&styleId1=100489067

nis350ztt said:
I said the G35 Coupe, not 350Z Roadster, 2-seater convertible, it does have a trunk about the size of my bro's 03 GT's.

Now the G35 Coupe:
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/edmunds/VehicleComparison;jsessionid=BRLW90yL5DAigbEAok2Hy5CHYpXjMGYVcriak1c51V8QsAn986eU!1327292148?op=4&tab=&isbasecar=true&modelid=100503582&styleid=&refid=&maxvehicles=5&vehicleindex=&removestyle=&numCars=2&just=center&modelId0=100503282&styleId0=100464180&modelId1=100505192&styleId1=100489067

G35, according to Edmunds, has a trunk only 60% of the size of the Mustang, is smaller in most dimensions, has 20% less torque, 15% less HP, a bigger turning radius (I thought these things were supposed to handle better than a stang?). Although the Mustang is a physically bigger vehicle, the weights are virtually the same. The Mustang will have the better stereo. Gas milage? Shoot, up here Premium unleaded costs 15-20% more than 87 octane, so if the mustang gets 15% less mileage per gallon (which I seriously doubt - even as a guess), fuel costs come out even. AND the Mustang does this all for 20% less Cash - based on MSRP...

Weight reduction cost money. If Ford sold a 05 GT at 3200 lbs and charged 10K more for it you guys would still be bitching.
We also live in an ODBII world with strong federal crash protection standards which are driving the weight up on all vehicles. The new mustang pretty much the same weight as the 04's, if you’re looking at 100lbs or so your splitting hairs. It's got more power, more interior room, better handling, etc, ect, ect. if people are bitching about the weight you’re looking for something to complain about. Want to knock down the weight? get cloth seats, get a base stereo, do a rear seat delete, buy aftermarket wheels, replace the Driveshaft and some suspension components, etc. You get what you pay for and a 28K 300hp car that weighs roughly 3450lbs is a bargain in today’s world.

There are aftermarket companies that you can go to if you feel the 05' is too heavy. The 05' weighs less than some of the great import cars such as the Toyota Supra TT, Nissan 300ZX/350Z, Nissan Skyline, Mitsubishi 3000gt VR-4, etc... The 05' is physcially a bigger car than before. More interior room (back seat too), trunk room. Let's not forget the problems that have been fixed, brakes, stiffer chassis, relocation of gas tank and battery, wheels moved to the corners of the car for better handeling. Just goes to show that you can't please everyone.