The Official "what Do You Do For A Living" Thread

• Sponsors (?)

For those in or fixing to join the military (enlisted) my best advice to you is if there is a certain career path you're leaning towards once you get out research what licenses, certificates, etc are needed and pursue them on your free time while you're still in. Even though you are trained and seasoned on a piece of equipment or other fields often times it doesn't mean jack in the civilian sector w out an accredited program and paper that says you've completed it. I was a gas turbine mechanic now I make bread. No A&P license.

And, if you do it while you are in on active duty, you usually get it for free.

Apply to be a ff here in Vegas. They start in the 70's and go up from there. Most make low six figures.
Wow that's one hell of a starting pay for a firefighter, but I quess its vegas. Ive been on 7 years and a floating driver for the last 5, which means i drive a different truck everyday. We've got 90 some fireman on 3 platoons and most of our engines run 2 men... If you don't know what that means look it up!!

Reactions: 1 user
Used to work in the automotive field. Primarily diagnosed, repaired, and R&R'd automatic transmissions. Now I'm working for the county road department doing anything from turning wrenches to operating equipment. And sitting on my ass a lot. So much that I just take pictures of the equipment I operate. Lol
DSC_0472_zpseb4f49ee.jpg

Wow. What a variety. I'll play. I was an ASE Certified auto tech for a GM/Volvo dealer for 17 years and a manager the last few. I went to trade school to do auto body which was a hobby all these years. I then operated a bodyshop/towing business for 4 yrs. Here's the kicker..:hide:...I went back to school and am now an RN in an emergency department. Also volunteer as an EMT. I got my auto knowledge for my hobby, now I can do it!

Reactions: 3 users
Wow. What a variety. I'll play. I was an ASE Certified auto tech for a GM/Volvo dealer for 17 years and a manager the last few. I went to trade school to do auto body which was a hobby all these years. I then operated a bodyshop/towing business for 4 yrs. Here's the kicker..:hide:...I went back to school and am now an RN in an emergency department. Also volunteer as an EMT. I got my auto knowledge for my hobby, now I can do it!

Wow thats one hell of a career change. Major extreme. Im doing the same thing now, been in the Security/Law Enforcement profession for 5 years and now looking to go into the Aviation field.

I am late, but here are some relevant parts of my resume - certified counter man. I was the parts dept. manager of a (GM) dealership. I also play in bands. We play polkas, rock, country, big band swing, even old city band music. Pay can be good for the hours, but I often play for food and drink if the party sounds good. Paid gigs (and money for speed parts) slowed down when the economy tanked. I also have an electronics background, but bow to the real computer techs.