Congrats,I had a white 85 gt that I sure miss and seeing your 86 makes it even worse. I didnt know the founder of stangnet was from Alabama. I remember visiting the site back in the late 90s when I had my 85.
Awesome car and story Mike! I wouldn't go too crazy with this one. I'd do a resto of the car (interior/exterior), upgrade the suspension to make it a little more fun, and build a healthy pushrod 5.0L for it. I don't think you'd want to stray too far from what the car is, and remove its connection to your past. Oh, and maybe widen the stock rear wheels for a little beef. This will be the anithesis to Built to Cruise! Can't wait to get my hands dirty... on both of em!
I know how you feel, I have had 10+ different mustangs over the last 15 years, but I have always had a soft spot for the 4eyes. I recently bought a 86. I am currently working on some electrical issues in the dash, but extremely excited to have it in the garage!
Great storyline! The 4-eye influenced me and I didn't realize it at the time. In the early 80's, the Mustang was one of a very few cars from Detroit that could give my VW a reasonable run. After I rented a 88 GT vert in HI (that left a lasting impression), the opportunity came up to purchase my 90, so I did. Congrats Mr. Radburn!