Thinking about buying a 94-95 5.0 and need some help

1995 mustang gt

Jan 16, 2010
hi, im looking for some advice on buying my next mustang. I bought a 95 gt when i was 16 and sold it after owning it about a year and have regreted it ever since. I am now saving to buy another 5.0 for a weekend toy and maybe drive it to work (80 miles round trip only 3 times a week). Im not looking to spend a lot on one right now and most of them in my price range have high miles so im wondering if i would be better off to buy a higher mileage car and run it till it quits and rebuild the motor or save to buy a lower mileage car? I found a 95 with 175k miles, 5 speed, 24lb injectors, 3.55 gears, long tube headers, h-pipe, bbk fuel pump, double roller chain from FRPP, and ford racing b cam, he says that when he put the timing gears in it he somehow got metal shavings in the oil pan so he changed the oil and after running it for a few days it lost oil pressure and he parked it. he said the engine had been rebuilt 3 months before this happened. He says he's going to take the best offer he can get. Does anyone have an idea of what the car is worth? I know it probably need a new engine or a rebuild. I put new heads on the first mustang i had and it wasnt to bad so i could probably do alot of the work myself. I'd appreciate anybodys opinion! Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

well if you will have to rebuild the engine that won't be too cheap and will probably end up spending around another 1000. I would just up my budget to like 4000-4500 maybe IMO you don't have too. the mustang you are looking at though if you can get it for 2800 or less i would say take it. it has some pretty good mods to it. just my opinion. i've only owned one mustang so far so im surely not an expert. hopes this helps.

well if you will have to rebuild the engine that won't be too cheap and will probably end up spending around another 1000. I would just up my budget to like 4000-4500 maybe IMO you don't have too. the mustang you are looking at though if you can get it for 2800 or less i would say take it. it has some pretty good mods to it. just my opinion. i've only owned one mustang so far so im surely not an expert. hopes this helps.

I agree.. The more you can pay for it initially will help you in the long run..

Say you buy one for 3 grand that has super high mileage, no mods, etc.. You end up doing alot of wear and tear maintenance on it just to keep it running, its still not super nice, etc, and then on top of that you pay full price plus install on any mods you want..

You are better off spending a few more thousand dollars and buying someone else's money pit..

I got my Cobra for free because the car already had over $10,000 in mods when i bought it :p

I think i can get the car for around a 1000. the guy said he will take the best offer he gets and if he cant sell it he's gona haul it to the scrap yard in 2 weeks because he's moving and has nowhere to put it. If i cant get this car i might just wait it out till winter and try to find one. It seems like theres usually a big price drop since mustangs suck in the snow and ice.lol I sold mine in Febuary a couple years ago for $5400. I had alot of mods done (heads, cam, intake, gears, roller rockers, full exhaust, cobra rims) and it only had 86000 on it when i sold it. The guy i sold it to called me a couple weeks later and told me it dynoed at 310hp and 400 ft lbs of torque. I hate i ever let that car go.

Keep in mind if you buy a cheap car you'll need to dump some coin into it. Are you doing the work yourself? If so that will save you some time and money. My 94Gt was mint and the guy that bought mine got a brand new car. Talk about regret. Post some pictures of the one you're thinking about.

i agree with turbogt. if you shell out the coin in the begining you'll be much happier with the overall product. if you buy something that is already beat, you have to spend a lot just to get it running. half the time you hate the car before you even get to drive it a 1,000 miles.

If you're going to pay $1k for the car, I would anticipate spending $4k rebuilding/replacing everything. If you shop around, you could get the motor rebuilt for under $2500 and that's the biggest part money wise. Then figure in tires. After that, all the new sensors/seals/etc to get it tip-top. If you have another car to use in the meantime and the budget, you can have a decent, reliable car for $5k or less.