Thinking about buying a 97 cobra

Night Shifter

Dec 24, 2005
Daytona
Ok so i already have a 00GT with all the mods listed in my sig but i'm thinking about adding another girl to the family.

How much HP do the stock 97 cobras have? This one isn't stock though but i'm looking for a rough est. It has LT's, Off road H, Cat back, CAI, and it's lowered. Does anyone know how much HP this might have? Will I beat my own GT in it?

I've always loved the 94-98 Bodystyle so i'm really thinking about making this a real nice project. It's black on black, the only problem is it has chrome cobra r's which i really hate. I think some anthracite DD FR500's should do the job well :nice: .

Thanks for any info.

• Sponsors (?)

be careful with any modded car, especially a 97 that is 11 years old.

if you like the body style, I say go for it if your confident in the car. I got away from mustangs for 5 years and couldnt get myself to get a new edge or 05+ car. I ended up paying a bit too much for the body style I wanted.

As far as HP, its listed 305... Its a drivers race..... R U sure the car has stock gears? NA 4v's do well on 4.30's or 4.56's, so I would bet it has gears. If so, with traction, it will likely be a bit faster than your car. 4v's have a little more over 5grand in rpm than our cars.

Im debating a built 2v in my car, or a 96-98 4v motor with a vortech, or a 03-04 4v with a t56. If your confident in the car, have the entire frame checked by an unbiased mechanic, then go for it. The sweetest mustang on the road, to me, is the 96-98 4v!

I actually have known the guy for about 4 months now. I guess I should have said that. I met him at a car show and we've been friends since so i trust him very well. The car has stock gears and he says he never really gets on it or races it but we've all said that. The car sounds and looks really good so im pretty sure i'm going to get it. I just didn't know the Hp numbers or anything like that.

This will be my first 4v and i cant wait. I've always wanted that body and i've always wanted a 4v. It's gonna be sexy!

Would i be better off trying to make the GT an all motor Project or the Cobra? I'm guessing the cobra will be easier to make faster:shrug:

I actually have known the guy for about 4 months now. I guess I should have said that. I met him at a car show and we've been friends since so i trust him very well. The car has stock gears and he says he never really gets on it or races it but we've all said that. The car sounds and looks really good so im pretty sure i'm going to get it. I just didn't know the Hp numbers or anything like that.

This will be my first 4v and i cant wait. I've always wanted that body and i've always wanted a 4v. It's gonna be sexy!

Would i be better off trying to make the GT an all motor Project or the Cobra? I'm guessing the cobra will be easier to make faster:shrug:

all motor cobra's sound so sick, but it can be more expensive. i.e. 4 cams means $1k right there

Have you run your GT at the track? My Cobra with just L/T's, H pipe, Dyno Max Catback and 4.10's (street tires) ran 13.54@106MPH with a 2.005 60ft time. I had a 97 Cobra with L/T, X pipe, Flowmaster catback and 3.73's (street tires) that ran 13.99@102MPH with a 2.2 60ft time.

IMO it will be all driver. I had a 00 GT that was bone stock, automatic. It was a factory freak!! That thing would have been chomping at the bit vs. my 97 Cobra. It might have hung through 1st gear, but you could see the 2V falling a bit in higher RPM's compared to the 4V. A stall would have obviously helped the car, but I wanted to keep that one stock because the 4 year old car only had 6,000 miles on it.

A B-headed 4v isn't going to be miles ahead of a PI GT. Mod for mod they will respond similarly to a 99-04 GT, with just slight gains due to extra revs and slightly better heads. If the car is in better mechanical and physical condition than your current car, go for it - otherwise keep what you got!

It all depends. I was running 13.8's w/ a shifter and 13.6 with a shifter, h pipe, mufflers and K&N.

A stock 96-98 4V can take a stock 99-04 GT. I have beaten my fair share. Granted they stayed with me until the 1/8th. Heck some have gotten our cars to run 13.5 stock. Add full exhaust and a good set of 4.xx gears w/ a DR and you are in the 12's

there is a white 97 cobra by my house that has 24000 miles and has been untouched. it needs like 200-300 dollars in paint, tires and an idler pully change. they want like $9000.

offer them 8, run a carfax, have the frame checked, and walk away with a smile!

or you can just let me know who is selling the car!:lol:

If you feel confident with the Cobra...and it is very clean, get it, I have a 98 GT also, and for a car being 10 years old, it needs A LOT of attention, if you are willling to contribute your attention and selective care, go for it, if it'll be hard to dedicate,if you want, wait a bit, and go with a newer Cobra or a Mach 1. Good luck with you design bro.