Thinking about deleting the power steering in my 89

• Sponsors (?)

The only thing I had to do was drill the pressure hose side of the volvo pump with ( I believe ) a 3/8 drill bit. The factory pressure line reached the pump and screwed on without issue. It should be in my build thread. I do use European prestone PS fluid in it. No issues.

I used the volvo ump off of a s40 that was in the junk yard. There are a bunch of them out there. The thread on the pressure line is the exact same thread on the volvo pump. The issue is that the mustang line is wider at the tip than the vovlo line. 3/8 bit self centers and drills it out to the correct size. I used grease on the bit to catch any debri.

I'm running on3 and have had the kit for a few years. It's worked well for me. I haven't had any issues other than a couple minor things during install. The original PS pump wasn't in the way but made it harder to get to the oil filter.

I'm going to check into the controller thing. I thought about that but didn't have the time to dissect one.

Lost cause for me. I don't have the vin of the car it came out of. Thought someone would Wright an Arduino to read wheel speed and a circuit to control the motor directy...bypassing the volvo chip. The steering feel is like a BMW ( so it's great for me ). No lag or hard spots. I've never been in a situation, while driving the last couple years, that makes me want to change it. 100% duty would probably be too soft. I run 235/40r18s up front 265/35r18s in the rear. IRS swapped.

Last edited:
I’ve done the Volvo pump without the controller . 3 wires and at 70 percent it was enough to run a hydro boost and steering . Just steering it would be fine . I used a wire in the car that was hot key on but not cranking so it didn’t put a load on while starting

Reactions: 1 user
The problem with the on3 kit is it puts the alternator right up against the turbo,which in turn makes you want to look for a different spot for it. The PS location. Unfortunately,you cant drop the PS down because of the forward facing headers. The Volvo ps pump is the best way to rectify the situation. Hopefully it's on my winter mod list.

The alternator is close to the turbo for sure, but with the turbo blanket it's not an issue. I'm not sure what you mean about drop the PS down? It fits fine with the forward facing headers.

The on3 install was not bad at all. Actually, pretty straight forward. The hardest part was tapping the oil pan for the return line.

33543.jpeg
20210429_100904.jpg

The alternator is close to the turbo for sure, but with the turbo blanket it's not an issue. I'm not sure what you mean about drop the PS down? It fits fine with the forward facing headers.

The on3 install was not bad at all. Actually, pretty straight forward. The hardest part was tapping the oil pan for the return line.
There's a few companies that make kits to where you swap the alternator to the driver side,and the ps is below that. This is without AC of course.

Hey, I used a new pump, bracket, pulley and asociated parts from a company called wild horses.
It now handles and performs amazingly and was much easier for me to figure out than the Volvo pump.
This is on my turbo street car with a spool and 15” wide tires and I retained my AC which was a must for me.

Hello all,

So I bought an 89 Fox a few months ago. It was an automatic and I plan on swapping that out with a T5. Along with this I was thinking about getting rid of the Power Steering and going with a Flaming River manual rack setup or equivalent and wanted to get some opinions on it. For people who have gotten a manual rack, how is it, how much of a pain is it to do slow turns. how is the sensitivity of it.

A little about my car plans as to know what im doing with it:

Car is NOT a daily driver but will be mainly driven on the street and sometime the strip. MAinly a weekend warrior.

car will eventually be turbo'd (if that matters)

Thanks for the opinions
Its pretty straight forward and easy to do...The width of the tires also the amount of turns it takes from lock to lock determines the turning strength needed..

Whats funny is not too many people in life have gotten to drive a vehicle with manual steering and manual drum brakes all the way around but its not as bad as people say and the ones that do complain do it about vehicles theyve never owned since brand new so they show they cant comment on what they didnt experience......LOL

My first drive in a vehicle at 9 wasnt a car...It was an old 66 GMC Stepvan at his machine shop with a 3 speed stick manual steering and drum brakes all the way around...My dad was pretty amazed that I was able to get it rolling although he was pretty mad I did it but the steering wasnt very hard with the huge steering wheel ...LOL....LOL

My 67 buick electra 225 stopped well with drum brakes all the way around when they were adjusted correctly. My 73 super beetle wasn't bad to drive with manual steering. Neither of them compare to my cobra 4 wheel brakes and EPAS.

The EPAS was an easy install. The hardest part was making a bracket to bolt it behind the bumper support.

Here's where my install starts...I think. I'm no good at attaching thread posts to a different thread.

Post in thread 'Dusty is at it again...' https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/dusty-is-at-it-again.887781/post-9279066

Last edited:
Its pretty straight forward and easy to do...The width of the tires also the amount of turns it takes from lock to lock determines the turning strength needed..

Whats funny is not too many people in life have gotten to drive a vehicle with manual steering and manual drum brakes all the way around but its not as bad as people say and the ones that do complain do it about vehicles theyve never owned since brand new so they show they cant comment on what they didnt experience......LOL

My first drive in a vehicle at 9 wasnt a car...It was an old 66 GMC Stepvan at his machine shop with a 3 speed stick manual steering and drum brakes all the way around...My dad was pretty amazed that I was able to get it rolling although he was pretty mad I did it but the steering wasnt very hard with the huge steering wheel ...LOL....LOL
It’s really pointless to do though . Why make the wheel effort higher . It just seems counter productive . I own a 66 belair that had 4 wheel
Manual drum . It now has manual disc drum but guess what ? It has power steering . For someone who really drives I just can’t think of any good reason you’d want it gone .