This afternoon's project.

Bree

Jan 12, 2021
Zanesville Ohio
Yes, I'm getting a late start, but who's punching a clock today? Anywho, I'm getting ready to put this in! Say good bye to that floppy ash tray lid, and hello to cup holders!!!

Attachments

• consloe1a.jpg
    consloe1a.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Color match, well,,, "It's close enough for government work," as the old saying goes. I suppose it's the color my interior would have been 30 years ago. If you expand the pic, you can see the plastic to either side of the gear selector is just a pinch darker. I suppose another option would be to get a black one so it looks like the black around the gear shift followed on back. I really thought about getting black to match the gear shift because I thought it might be an easier color match. But, at the end of the day, I'm probably going to be the only one looking at it, so i say close enough for who it's for.
I got mine from CJ Pony. It took them forever to ship it. I recon this part must be in high demand or something? I mean every one of those ash tray lids has gone bad by now. I ordered it like a month and a half ago I think. But anyway, it was available in this shade of red, black and grey.
The install took just a little over an hour. However, I took a retired tooth brush and went around the seams where two plastic bits come together to get the 30 years of crud out of those impossible to get to places while I had it apart. I saw some hot to vids on line that showed the guy working from the front seat. I actually laid the seats forward and did the work from the back seat.

You did a fine job. I was raised on that saying “good enough for government work”. Lol
My pops use to say that all the time with car and house DIY jobs. Brings back memories. It was Good enough for him and good enough for me now.
If the color match bothers you at some point it’s nothing that a can of SEM interior plastic and vinyl paint can’t fix. Hit it with the prep spray first then the color and you will look good as new!

Thanks for the review. I got one of the early ones, and it is still on the shelf in the box. :mad: I hope the paint I bought is still good.
BTW, my ash tray lid is still good. It almost broke the day I had to get in from the passenger side, but it and the armrest survived.
I’m past tired of my soda bottle ending up on the front passenger floor or being launched into the back seat. How well does the new design hold beverages?

My ashtray actually still works. But I don’t snoke, so a cupholder was more useful.

I got the other style though. I didn’t need the USB ports and prefer that sort of stuff stay hidden

Wow! 2 ash trays still working! Those things are notorious for snapping that spring!

The color is close enough I don't think it will l bother me, but if it does end up bugging me, I'll probably paint it to match the black around the gear shift. I think the black will be an easier color to match, and I'm doing everything in black and red anyway. OR..... Now hear me out on this...... What if I paint the sides of it black where it comes in contact with other red, and mask off some kind of a design in the middle, maybe pin striped flames or some such............

As for the USB ports, I thought they were a nice touch as I often forget my cell phone in my purse until it goes dead, because when I am home, I use my land line mostly and put the cell out of my mind. Yea, I know, I'm old, shut up! But really, the DC port was a bigger deal to me than the USB. I have an air compressor that runs on that, and I thought about a cell charger, but the USB kinda renders that mute. But then again, I could have a cell phone, a passenger could have one, and someone in the back seat could pug a cell into the DC port with appropriate adapter. I also have a couple other accessories (like a handheld ham radio, or passably a scanner) that I might want to plug into it one day. Oh yea, that reminds me, any 2meter operators out there? I need a replacement for my HTX 202!
There is one thing I would change about it. I think it would be best if the ports were side by side rather than front to back, as the armrest could (note I said "Could" and not "would" or "is") become a bit of an obstruction to the back one. One change I did make, I foresee my using the USB more the the DC port, because of my questionable cell phone habits. To that end, I swapped the USB and DC ports to put the USB in front and make it easier to get to.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Wow! 2 ash trays still working! Those things are notorious for snapping that spring!

The color is close enough I don't think it will l bother me, but if it does end up bugging me, I'll probably paint it to match the black around the gear shift. I think the black will be an easier color to match, and I'm doing everything in black and red anyway. OR..... Now hear me out on this...... What if I paint the sides of it black where it comes in contact with other red, and mask off some kind of a design in the middle, maybe pin striped flames or some such............

As for the USB ports, I thought they were a nice touch as I often forget my cell phone in my purse until it goes dead, because when I am home, I use my land line mostly and put the cell out of my mind. Yea, I know, I'm old, shut up! But really, the DC port was a bigger deal to me than the USB. I have an air compressor that runs on that, and I thought about a cell charger, but the USB kinda renders that mute. But then again, I could have a cell phone, a passenger could have one, and someone in the back seat could pug a cell into the DC port with appropriate adapter. I also have a couple other accessories (like a handheld ham radio, or passably a scanner) that I might want to plug into it one day. Oh yea, that reminds me, any 2meter operators out there? I need a replacement for my HTX 202!
There is one thing I would change about it. I think it would be best if the ports were side by side rather than front to back, as the armrest could (note I said "Could" and not "would" or "is") become a bit of an obstruction to the back one. One change I did make, I foresee my using the USB more the the DC port, because of my questionable cell phone habits. To that end, I swapped the USB and DC ports to put the USB in front and make it easier to get to.
no...let’s revisit the land line thing....
I have the rep here for being the crotchety old guy.....i’m 63.
I haven’t had a land line phone since there was an iphone......4 maybe???....
Some people are only as old as they feel ( or act) ..Some people are just freakin old.

I vote Bree gets to wear the crotchedy crown from now on..

A land line phone....... :nonono:

• Haha
  • Happy
no...let’s revisit the land line thing....
I have the rep here for being the crotchety old guy.....i’m 63.
I haven’t had a land line phone since there was an iphone......4 maybe???....
Some people are only as old as they feel ( or act) ..Some people are just freakin old.

I vote Bree gets to wear the crotchedy crown from now on..

A land line phone....... :nonono:
I missed where the land line came into this, but I kind of have a land line (voip) with two Bakelite rotary phones and real bells to wake the dead. I probably will drop the landline if I can figure out to fax for free without a jack to plug the multifunction printers and computer modem into. (Google Drive/Dropbox with a .pdf???) I also have plans to put up an HD antenna, and tell Spectrum where to shove their new rate increase. We’ve been streaming experimentally since Christmas. So does that makes us semi-luddites?

I hereby no longer will tolerate the “ crotchety” label. By admissions evidenced by the last several replies..I alone have moved into the 21st century. The rest of ya’s can get into your Flint mobiles, and roll back to your houses built out of slate.

I abdicate the thrown to everyone, and anyone of you neanderthal’s who still can only walk as far as the curly cord will allow you to go and still remain “on the line”.

Well, at lest my land line is cordless, that should count for something! And yea, maybe I am a crotchety old biddy, perfectly content with land line and my house full of dogs! I'm, dare i say it? 52! But with this kidney failure BS I fee 82! It's no fun.
Oh yea, and did I mention the only place I drive my Mustang is to church on Sunday? Ok, that however is because after sitting on the one mechanic's lot for 6 years un touched I really didn't trust the frame much farther than that. It was basically just a weekly run to keep it active until I could find another shop to finally fix the freak'n thing! Since I've had it back though, it's been raining here a lot (spring time in Ohio I guess) and whereas the sunroof leaks, it stays under the cover a lot lately. Indian Outlaw isn't taking me to church this week though. I got the driver's side door apart to do window run stripping. I got everything apart and discovered American Muscle sent 2 right hand strips! :o They're being cool about it though, they're even upgrading me to the fast shipping on the return!

Reactions: 1 user