this car has been nothing but a damn headache lots of issues

lmarinukjr

Oct 22, 2005
ok i have an 89 5.0l notchback. ok i thought the thermostat housing was leaking so i replaced the thermostat and bypass hose theres still a puddle under the thermostat. the other problem i was having was the car wasnt warming up past the bottom of the gauge now its warming up but i have heat for like the first minute that i turn the heat on then it gets cold the heater core is there and flowing coolant through it. the adjuster on the heater control seems to be working what else is there to get the heat fixed?

• Sponsors (?)

You may be leaking coolant between your intake and head. Check ur oil, see if its white. I had trouble with the intake-to-head head gasket leaking and it was leaking there on top of the water pump and pooling up, and was getting into my oil. I had to replace the gaskets there with Felpro 1250s i believe the number was.

What type of guages do you have? Factory or aftermarket, alot of people will tell you a facotry gauge is little more than an idiot light.

And the little screw in water temp. sending unit, where it screws into the lower manifold. it could be leaking around there. I also had a leak there. I took it out and put some teflon tape around it and had no more leaks there either.

all factory gauges but the heater seems to go along with the temp gauge if i put the heat on the temp goes down just as fast as the heat gets cold.i just put a 192 thermostat in it.

I think these guys covered the possible sources of coolant leaks (been a while since I had a Fox to remember exact hose routing), but the heat issue sounds like you still have some air in the system. An air pocket is probably trapped somewhere in the system, so your heater core isn't receiving enough flow.

Make sure the heater doors are not redirecting the heat after you turn it on.

With a 180 or192 or so thermostat, you should have all the heat you ever want.

It does have to have the system full, and that can take a couple of trys. When you get it full and the air out, it should be bulletproof.