This tire and wheel combo shouldn`t work.

65fastbackresto

Apr 13, 2007
AR
But it does....I know this sounds funny, but I had major rubbing issues before I redone the front end of this car. The tire would snag the top of the fenderwell when taking off in a corner in either direction. But now its all good. I even bought another set of wheels for the car and I dont need them now.

American Racing 17 by 8`s all the way around with 3.5 inch backspacing.
P215/50/R17`s all the way around.

Only thing I can figure is the adjustable strut rods must be keeping the tire square in the fenderwell.
I also did the granada brake upgrade, but was told that wouldn`t change anything.

• Sponsors (?)

Like "stang66convt" I have had that same wheel set up for years and have 225/45/17's on the front and 245s in the rear.......Just keep in mind these cars are not built to todays exacting standards and have years of driving on them....I'll never forget how many shims I have seen behind an upper ball joints just to make one go down the road straight. Either way its cool to have newer shoes on these older cars. I have thought about doing the roller spring perches that you have and would like your opinion.

Yea I was looking at Dodgestangs chart

And it appears that 3.5 inch backspacing is not correct for a 17 inch wheel. I think this is one of those situations where its cutting it so close its risky to try.

The roller stuff works good, this thing steers alot easier then before, and I think its gonna handle pretty good if I ever get the frontend aligned right (thats another thread, check it out). I also went the 1 1/8 sway bar on the front and I cant hardly get ANY bodyroll outta this thing now.

spindles are changed yes.

And I was told the swap wouldn`t change the "track width". But I know something is different up there, I just dont know what. I went from having to be VERY carefull to driving this thing hard if I want.

Heres a full rundown of the parts up there.

All opentracker stuff

upper control arms stock
lower control arms stock
koni shocks
roller spring perches
roller idler arm
tie rods end and center link and pitman arm
adjustable strut rods
1 1/8th sway bar

other venders
620 rate 1 inch lowering coils in front
granada disc brake swap