Throttle body & upper plenum . worth it?

• Sponsors (?)

The HP seems pretty low but it was the TQ that really surprised me. PI 2V's are 270+rwtq cars bone stock. Hell, my car almost hit 280rwtq with just a CAI and weld-in mufflers.

interesting. what type of dyno was that on?

i like the sound 270 better than 242 but i assumed it being 'magazine tested' , there might be some meat and potatoes to it.

thoughts on what it might be on a dynojet?

I'd also guess in the 230-235 range. Some have put down 240. Those torque numbers really indicate that they're inaccurate, as Nightfire said.

Dyno's are finicky. They're an amazing tuning tool, can be great to impress people with, but the track tells the real story as far as how the car is making power.

The TB and UP might make a difference when WOT where every HP increase means so much to -- in particular -- drag racers. But outside of being WOT, I doubt it would make any difference. Another popular mod related to this is the "TB spacer" mod which is pure snake oil for everyone (right?).

The TB and UP might make a difference when WOT where every HP increase means so much to -- in particular -- drag racers. But outside of being WOT, I doubt it would make any difference. Another popular mod related to this is the "TB spacer" mod which is pure snake oil for everyone (right?).

TB/Carb spacers used to work back in the day, but on fuel injected engines it doesn't do much. So yes... total waste of $. If you look at most aftermarket intake plenums, they are raised 3/4 to an inch to create the same effect.

Reason is, carbs mix the fuel and air before the intake manifold; when you create more distance for the mixture to travel and increase the speed in which it does so, the mixture becomes finer and it produces a more complete burn in the combustion chamber. For a fuel injected vehicle, save for TBI (nearly obsolete today, if not completely in the USA market) fuel is injected at the end of the intake manifold directly before the intake ports on the heads. It mixes with the air flowing through the intake manifold at the very end, thus negating any need for the extra flow created by the TB spacer.

The only other difference the TB and plenum will make is in throttle response. It's a little snappier but nothing major.

From all that I have read, it seems that a throttle body & plenum are really hit and miss. Some threads have people saying they are great, they could feel a gain, would do the mod again etc, others claims not to do it unless you are supercharged, others claim it is a waste etc.

IMO, read this article The Plenum Showdown Part II and look at the gains. Are these gains worth X amount that you are paying for this new/used TB & plenum? What is the $$/HP ratio? Are there other mods that have a better $$/HP figure out there that you don't already have?

The TB and UP might make a difference when WOT where every HP increase means so much to -- in particular -- drag racers. But outside of being WOT, I doubt it would make any difference.

the hp numbers i posted up were not recorded at the redline. close, but not quite. the baseline numbers were 213 @ 4,910 / 242 @ 4,004 . the addition of a catback exhaust (w/ factory mid pipe) and a TB/Plenum combo netted an additional 20 /17 to the ground.

233 @ 4,910 / 259 @ 4,202

Just port the stocker unless you want a tb/plenum combo. As for gears they won't whine. Find a good shop to put them in and keep your foot out of the gas and you won't see a bad mpg drop. If I had a mod motor daily car here is the very short list of mods I would do.

• Shifter
  • Subframes
  • Good tires
  • Good brake pads
  • LCA
  • MM k member brace
  • Catback
  • Tuner
  • 3.73s

Nothing big and I would do the gears and tuner at the same time. Drive it and enjoy.

Just port the stocker unless you want a tb/plenum combo. As for gears they won't whine. Find a good shop to put them in and keep your foot out of the gas and you won't see a bad mpg drop. If I had a mod motor daily car here is the very short list of mods I would do.

• Shifter
  • Subframes
  • Good tires
  • Good brake pads
  • LCA
  • MM k member brace
  • Catback
  • Tuner
  • 3.73s

Nothing big and I would do the gears and tuner at the same time. Drive it and enjoy.

funny you mention that, i actually did order a ported / polished oem plenum. ordered it from the same guy i ordered my TB from so they are designed to work well with each other. had gears installed in my 95 by a local competent shop a few years ago, yea - they whined (no other real options available to do the install). but yes, they won't IF installed correctly.

i do plan on driving and enjoying it when summer rolls around - cant wait actually.

I'm just getting stir crazy/cabin fever.:crazy: I haven't seen so many grey dreary days since I lived in the NE.
Want to get out of the house and do outside stuff, whether it's work in the garden, play with the cars, or even cutting the grass. :spot:

funny you mention that, i actually did order a ported / polished oem plenum. ordered it from the same guy i ordered my TB from so they are designed to work well with each other. had gears installed in my 95 by a local competent shop a few years ago, yea - they whined (no other real options available to do the install). but yes, they won't IF installed correctly.

i do plan on driving and enjoying it when summer rolls around - cant wait actually.

Where are you at in TN? I know there is a lot of good shops on the eastern side.