throttle cable removal and install

spiegs

May 30, 2020
boston ma
sup guys, im replacing my throttle cable on my 93 5 speed. i understand unbolting everything in the engine bay and then the little plastic piece that fits into the top of the pedal arm. im assuming i manuever my way in there and pop it up and out with a screwdriver? how to i press the new one back in? its quite difficult to reach all the way up there and get any type of leverage on anything. any tips would be appreictaed!

• Sponsors (?)

I have to replace the gas pedal in my 89. My drivers seat is out to make it easier.
All I can remember is it was a MAJOR pain!!!
I'll go out to the garage in a few and see if I can jog my memory.
If I have gas pedal nightmares tonight it WILL be your fault!!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
It does not just 'pop up', the plastic piece that fits in the hole of the pedal is split on the back side, the side you can't see, I used a small pair of pliers to squeeze the plastic together enough to come out and the cable will come out the slot.

i guess getting the old cable out isnt my biggest concern (still a concern) but getting the new plastic piece pressed into the pedal arm. is this something i do with my fingers? removing the actual arm doesnt look like an easy job either

The plastic piece will pop itself into the hole. Like thief said, unbolt the pedal, then it is easier.

I have done this several times. Unhook the throttle body side of the cable, then once the pedal is unbolted you can pull it down to see where that plastic piece is. Get a small screw driver and pop the plastic piece out of the hole (It will come towards you) then once the plastic piece is out you will see that the cable portion (just the inner cable itself) will slide up and out of the pedal. There is an opening for it. When istalling the new cable just slide the pedal (pedal still unbolted) up into the metal cable part via the slot and pull back....you will see that the small white plastic piece will just pop right back in where it belongs. The last thing is where the cable goes through the firewall if I remember correctly it goes through and metal fingers pop out to hold it in. You need to release these from the inside of the car. This will all make sense once you are actually doing it.

Chris