Throttle cable

313Stang

Jan 13, 2004
Detroit
Ok so I'm at the park with my friends. I drive off and my accelerator goes to the floor for no reason, no revs nothing.. I get out pop the hood and see that my throttle cable is in 2 separate pieces.. one end still attached to the TB and the other end sticking out of the housing.. uhhh so my question is this.. How difficult is it to replace this cable and is this a part that I will need to get from the dealership? Thanx guys...

• Sponsors (?)

313Stang said:
Ok so I'm at the park with my friends. I drive off and my accelerator goes to the floor for no reason, no revs nothing.. I get out pop the hood and see that my throttle cable is in 2 separate pieces.. one end still attached to the TB and the other end sticking out of the housing.. uhhh so my question is this.. How difficult is it to replace this cable and is this a part that I will need to get from the dealership? Thanx guys...

couple options...

A) buy it from the dealer, not sure of cost.

B) get it here

C) go to a bike store and buy a brake cable. I'm pretty sure it's the same thickness and the little deal on the end is the same size I think

I've replaced mine - pretty simple. Two bolts at the firewall - use a flatblade screwdriver to pop the retainer out of the pedal. It really shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.

Hopefully a local Ford dealer has one in stock - like $30.00 if I remember right.

Jay

yep had to get towed.. only like 15 miles.. the first 5 miles were free.. actually I could have just put it in drive and drove verrrrry sllllooowwwwwlllyyyy all the way home lol... I "fixed" it today though.. I removed the throttle cable and soldered the two pieces back together... of course I'll be at the parts counter tomorrow morning to purchase a new one...

Actually there was a definite improvement in throttle response. As far as performance I could tell there was a little bit of improvement there.. Not so much judging by the SOTP meter but by racing a friend of mine.. He has a 2002 GT and from a roll I can keep him at my door until we hit 80 or more, then he just pulls away..