Ticking noise comming from engine on cold starts. Plese Help

every morning this week when i go to crank it up i have noticed a strange ticking noise. i couldnt locate where it was comming from and didnt really pay too much attention to it. it goes away after the car warms up anyway. this morning when i cranked it the noise was a bit louder, i decided to get out of the car and locate the noise. i believe its comming from inside the engine. this makes sense in that it goes away after the car warms up. i dont know whats making the noise. the car seems ok. it runs and idles the same as it always has. when i sit at idle before the car warms up and rev the engine, the ticking is in line with the rpm's. I am certainly not mechanically savvy so ANY and ALL input would be valueable to me!

• Sponsors (?)

113852_front200.jpg

marvel mystery oil works wonders :nice:

very important question that seems to have been overlooked - what filter are you using? You really need something with an antidrainback valve to prevent dry starts, which may be causing your noisey valvetrain. I recommend a Motorcraft, Mobil 1 or K&N filter... if you're using Fram, do your car a favor and replace it with one of those three, then use the fram filter for skeet shooting :)

stangGT97 said:
very important question that seems to have been overlooked - what filter are you using? You really need something with an antidrainback valve to prevent dry starts, which may be causing your noisey valvetrain. I recommend a Motorcraft, Mobil 1 or K&N filter... if you're using Fram, do your car a favor and replace it with one of those three, then use the fram filter for skeet shooting :)

thanks for the advice but i already use the K&N oil filters.

Ok, i took to the Ford dealership and they basically told me there is nothing they can do unless i want to pay them hundreds of dollars to take the valve train apart to see whats making the noise. i know i shouldve expected that answer from them but it still sux... is there anyone out there whose had this problem and was able to fix it? or have it fixed?

Mine started doing the same thing when I switched to Mobile 1 synthetic. It's not anything to worry about, if it's just for a few seconds. The lifters are just bleeding down when it sits for several hours and it takes a few seconds for the lifters to pump back up. I guess the synthetic seeps out of the lifters easier.

Well if you don't think it's an exhaust leak, then it's probably the lifters. Like the dealership said, there's nothing you can do but replace them. Don't try any thicker oils or "engine honey" like that marvel sh1t or Lucas, those will just cover up the noise. Just live with the tick.