Time for a new clutch

@2000xp8 @Mustang5L5

My dad got a roached out '69 Camaro shell in 1985 but he worked 6 and sometimes 7 days a week so he rarely had time to work on it. It was driving by the early 90s though. Some of my fondest memories as a kid were the very rare occasions he would take me and my brother for a ride, otherwise the car just sat. The kids, whether they tell you or not, will remember that forever. TAKE THEM OUT MORE!!!

He still has the car, 38 years later and it still just sits...
Trust me, it's on my mind and has been for quite a while.
Received the second car seat. Have to get something (maybe just a blanket) to protect my rear seats (they are custom) and get the car aligned. Probably make the kids wash the car, they still thinking helping is fun, might as well enjoy it, not sure how long that lasts.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

With my goal of taking this car off the lift and leaving it off, i decided to clean the rear valence. It's much easier to clean in the air.
While doing so, a few things occurred to me, first off i haven't cleaned under there or in the slots in like 15 years.
Second it's become very clear on how my way of thinking has changed.
Back in the day i needed the car clean and fast. Right, wrong, safe really didn't matter (I was known for bald tires). Now i'm more the opposite.
I really don't like detail work, would much rather have a wrench in my hand.

Next thing is that i would highly suggest that when you install chrome tailpipes or a catback that you take the sticky packing bubble residue off the pipes before you ever start it. Apparently waiting 5 years makes it much harder to clean...
I used goo gone and it was much easier, but that shouldn't have had to happen.

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user
It's called late onset OCD. There is a cure but like all drug manufacturers its only temporary and requires frequent dosing...its called a cold adult beverage.

• Haha
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 3 users
With my goal of taking this car off the lift and leaving it off, i decided to clean the rear valence. It's much easier to clean in the air.
While doing so, a few things occurred to me, first off i haven't cleaned under there or in the slots in like 15 years.
Second it's become very clear on how my way of thinking has changed.
Back in the day i needed the car clean and fast. Right, wrong, safe really didn't matter (I was known for bald tires). Now i'm more the opposite.
I really don't like detail work, would much rather have a wrench in my hand.

Next thing is that i would highly suggest that when you install chrome tailpipes or a catback that you take the sticky packing bubble residue off the pipes before you ever start it. Apparently waiting 5 years makes it much harder to clean...
I used goo gone and it was much easier, but that shouldn't have had to happen.
You had me at “taking this car off the lift”.

I think I despise people with lifts. You are so privileged. There should be some equal opportunity mechanic law which allows all garage mechanics to have lifts. Why can’t I have a lift? :poo:, why can’t I have two lifts? I’m sure my wife won’t mind, amiright! Just throw a guy a bone. Maybe a half lift and a Chunnel? What about a 1/4 and a remote controlled slider?

Lift privilege, it’s a thing people!!1!!11!!

• Haha
Honestly i got that lift years ago when craigslist was the thing (i was looking for a low profile race jack). Somebody north jersey had it for $2500. I offered $1600, he offered $2200, i offered $1600. He offered $2000, i offered $1600. Went on for 2 months. Finally 2 weeks before that christmas he sent me an email saying if i still had that $1600 christmas was coming early to me. It was one of those cases where you have to means to disassemble, transport, reassemble. Which was a serious under taking. The ramp with the hydraulics is like 500lbs by itself.
It's a Bendpak HD7P, i think bendpak used to sell it for $3800 delivered and setup at the time. I did fail to calculate that my garage door would hit the lift when it went up. So then i had to do a high lift conversion, which was another project in itself.
The real beauty in this lift is that with an 11'2 garage ceiling, i can put it all the way up with my car on it and walk under it at 6'1 without ducking. So all winter i can use the garage as if it's not even in there.
A few years later i got tired of jacking up the car on the lift to take the wheels up and bought a hydraulic slide jack that goes between the rails.

Most people think the lift is ridiculous, but when i had my saleen explorer the converter locked up, trans place wanted to either replace or rebuild it at $2500, i took the pan off and a spring broke above the valve body (i had put a shift kit in it), a piece of that spring jammed a valve, i bought a new $8 valve, $100 in fluid and drove it the rest of the time i owned it, trouble free. From that time on i have declared the lift paid for itself.

I'm by no means wealthy but i can fix almost anything and know how to buy things from people in person with cash (A skill that is lost on the youth of today). .
I also have issues with "escalation" in every hobby. So it's no surprise i needed a jack and bought a lift. There's the time i needed a shovel and bought a trencher. I had a $20 rc heliopter, then i needed a collective pitch stunt copter. It goes on and on with every hobby. Another time decided i wanted an arcade game i played at the boardwalk, i couldn't find it, so i bought a different one, then another and another until i had 30 arcade and pinball machines. Again, i'm not wealthy but i love good broken stuff at dirt cheap prices. I'm kinda over that hobby, i've had about 60 games in the past 10 years which include every game i've ever played in the arcade (that i can get into my basement). I kept the 10 the kids and I loved most and sold the rest. I'm already past break even and i still have 20k in games in my basement. Any time I can buy something, mess with it for years then sell it for more than i'm into it, i'll do it, my wife knows i'm frugal and that this car is the only place i lose money and not that much because the MM suspension was a collective of gifts from the past decade.
I wish i could do it with foxes but i can't quite figure out the market.

Honestly i got that lift years ago when craigslist was the thing (i was looking for a low profile race jack). Somebody north jersey had it for $2500. I offered $1600, he offered $2200, i offered $1600. He offered $2000, i offered $1600. Went on for 2 months. Finally 2 weeks before that christmas he sent me an email saying if i still had that $1600 christmas was coming early to me. It was one of those cases where you have to means to disassemble, transport, reassemble. Which was a serious under taking. The ramp with the hydraulics is like 500lbs by itself.
It's a Bendpak HD7P, i think bendpak used to sell it for $3800 delivered and setup at the time. I did fail to calculate that my garage door would hit the lift when it went up. So then i had to do a high lift conversion, which was another project in itself.
The real beauty in this lift is that with an 11'2 garage ceiling, i can put it all the way up with my car on it and walk under it at 6'1 without ducking. So all winter i can use the garage as if it's not even in there.
A few years later i got tired of jacking up the car on the lift to take the wheels up and bought a hydraulic slide jack that goes between the rails.

Most people think the lift is ridiculous, but when i had my saleen explorer the converter locked up, trans place wanted to either replace or rebuild it at $2500, i took the pan off and a spring broke above the valve body (i had put a shift kit in it), a piece of that spring jammed a valve, i bought a new $8 valve, $100 in fluid and drove it the rest of the time i owned it, trouble free. From that time on i have declared the lift paid for itself.

I'm by no means wealthy but i can fix almost anything and know how to buy things from people in person with cash (A skill that is lost on the youth of today). .
I also have issues with "escalation" in every hobby. So it's no surprise i needed a jack and bought a lift. There's the time i needed a shovel and bought a trencher. I had a $20 rc heliopter, then i needed a collective pitch stunt copter. It goes on and on with every hobby. Another time decided i wanted an arcade game i played at the boardwalk, i couldn't find it, so i bought a different one, then another and another until i had 30 arcade and pinball machines. Again, i'm not wealthy but i love good broken stuff at dirt cheap prices. I'm kinda over that hobby, i've had about 60 games in the past 10 years which include every game i've ever played in the arcade (that i can get into my basement). I kept the 10 the kids and I loved most and sold the rest. I'm already past break even and i still have 20k in games in my basement. Any time I can buy something, mess with it for years then sell it for more than i'm into it, i'll do it, my wife knows i'm frugal and that this car is the only place i lose money and not that much because the MM suspension was a collective of gifts from the past decade.
I wish i could do it with foxes but i can't quite figure out the market.
HEY EVERYBODY, THE CEILINGS IN MY GARAGE ARE 11'+ TALL!!11!!11!!

Just bustin balls of course. I am incredibly jealous. I believe my garage ceilings are like 4' -2". When we bought this house if you woulda told me I would want a car lift for my Vanilla Ice 5.0 I would have laughed myself silly and bought you a beer.

In reality there are quite a few solutions that would help the average guy. The guy i bought the lift from actually had a small bendpak scissors style cut into his garage floor. It only went up a few feet but it would make a bunch of work easier.

Took the car for a ride with the kids to get bagels today.
It's pretty clear the suspension is just much better.
Better handling, more predictable, no noises pretty much at all.
Not that it was bad before (it was already all higher end parts), but i'm guessing removing the upper controls tool a lot of the strain out of the back end which eliminated all the creaking and light knocking sounds.
I was going to switch my ultraflos to super turbos, but now i'm wondering if it's necessary. The power in this setup is linear, so it's still fine to drive around in 5th gear at 1500rpm. I had no trouble hearing the kids debate whether the supercharger sound comes from the front or back of the car.
Some of this could be from using kilmat on the back end of the car.

Super Turbos didn't fix my drone issue in Snake Pit. I don't have any sound deadening... so that's probably to blame... Anyways, have you considered an electric cutout? Best of both worlds. Super Turbos have a lot of back pressure for a big power car... so I've been told. Ultra flos are essentially straight through... so that's a big difference.

Super Turbos didn't fix my drone issue in Snake Pit. I don't have any sound deadening... so that's probably to blame... Anyways, have you considered an electric cutout? Best of both worlds. Super Turbos have a lot of back pressure for a big power car... so I've been told. Ultra flos are essentially straight through... so that's a big difference.
Oh hell no, lol.
I want it quieter, not louder. Personally i think cutouts are idiotic. I don't really have too much drone to complain about, i'm just kinda over loud in general. A lot of the old school muscle car guys use super turbos. Not sure if there is any power to be lost, but not sure if i care either.
The nice thing is that superturbos are a direct fit for my ultraflo catback.

If i had it my way i would put cats back on the car, it's just the pipe routing with the mixed year exhaust may leave the cats too close to the floor, they all look to be 4inch in diameter and i'll guess an inch for clearance.

Last edited:
An electric cutout is not louder, it's the best of both worlds. Unrestricted flow past the headers while open, or when closed exhaust is routed through potentially extremely quiet mufflers, regardless of the backpressure they would impose. I suppose if you aren't worried about power and don't want cutouts, OEM mufflers would be your best bet. As mentioned, super turbos didn't quell the drone as much as I'd hoped in my application despite the fact that they are well-known to be 'quiet', and my research suggests that the internal pipes still constrict down to no larger than 2.5" in diameter, despite the inlet and outlet diameter. On high-powered cars, it stands to reason that they'd be restrictive. On my car, when I revisit taming the noise, I probably will look for OEM mufflers, though not necessarily fox OEM. One unfortunate limitation for us is restricted space under the body for mufflers. So, they have to be shorter than most cars.

This isn't the offset-offset version you'd need, but you get the idea & can see out the inlet & outlet immediately constrict, followed by more constriction in the internal tubes:
1687818831936.jpeg

Last edited:
I think i'm beyond messing with any more custom ideas for the exhaust. Right now it's easy to take apart and reinstall.
Any muffler that won't be a direct fit is probably off the list for me.
That probably leaves me with super turbo's and maybe a couple others. I don't think i'm going to experiment with it during the summer and if it doesn't bother me going into winter, i'll just leave it. I tend to create problems to fix.

Going to buy this window kit and maybe the regular arm rollers.
Already have half a dozen sets of vapor barriers (it would pay to look before you keep making orders) new bolt kit and new map pockets (my map pockets are currently cut off). Was considering the dynamat door kit, but i have so much kilmat left over that it doesn't make sense financially although their kit does look crazy easy to install.

Any reason you are getting the plates and bolting? Unless you have disassembled the doors and know the plates are worn typically all that is needed are the bushings.

These are the two things that I have found to cause the slip and rattle in the door glass:

• Agree
I buy all kinds of extra parts just in case. I didn't open up the door, but when i do, i'm doing it all in one sitting.

The entire kit i listed costs less than 4 of the blueoval parts.
I could dial it back and get the 4 at lmr for $20, but i will surely be sorry if one of those plates are banged up.

I found that after having my mustang for about 10 years, and only driving it on occasion, it wasn't so much that I didn't want to drive it but that I had big "plans" for it but not enough time. I was really unhappy with the way it looked compared to how it was mechanincally since I had fixed/replaced most of the mechanical parts to make it fun, safe, and reliable... but the paint and body were horrible and I just hated taking it out looking like that. The idea when I sent it to Kevin was just paint and T-Top conversion, but that's changed to a totally different engine/trans now too.

I'm the same way with my hobbies, they spin out of control if I'm not careful about it (helicopters included). I'm glad you took your kid out though, keep doing that! I know I will once I get my car back.

The entire kit i listed costs less than 4 of the blueoval parts.
I could dial it back and get the 4 at lmr for $20, but i will surely be sorry if one of those plates are banged up.
That kit you got doesn't include the roller guides though. Probably want to have those on hand also. Those, and the guide rod bushings are the 2 wear items that I would think would be of the most importance. Since you haven't been in there, I'd assume all the hardware is present.

And I'm with you on the "doing it all in one sitting" thing.

.....they spin out of control if I'm not careful about it (helicopters included).....
I see what you did there.....