Tire and Wheel combos

jordanvraptor

Founding Member
Aug 3, 2002
Oregon City, OR
Looking for opinions on street tires and wheels for the rears on my Cobra. Thinking about going with a 10.5 wheel and a wider tire to try to lessen traction problems. Use of the Cobra is now very rare so might get it back to the dragstrip next year. It will be pretty much a dry weather street and strip car. THinking about Mickey Thompsons or the Nitto 555R. Any thoughts?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

When the track prep is bad you are going to want all the tire you can get, trust me I race at Pacific raceways.

I run Hoosier quick time pros, and they are great, but they are a completely different tire than a MT ET street radial. QTP's are a wrinkle wall slick with groves cut into them. If you want o compare apples to apples a Hoosier QTP is more like a MT ET Street not a MT ET Street Radial.

Don't get Nittos...

Yeah, I'd hate to sell the rears by themselves only because then I'd have a hard time getting rid of just a front pair of rims. The tires are just cheapo Sumitomos but I've got over 75% tread on them - if you were looking at having them through the winter the tires would be more than enough to get through and then put the MT's on in the spring.

If you're interested shoot me a PM with a price and let's see if we can work something out.

Yeah, I'd hate to sell the rears by themselves only because then I'd have a hard time getting rid of just a front pair of rims. The tires are just cheapo Sumitomos but I've got over 75% tread on them - if you were looking at having them through the winter the tires would be more than enough to get through and then put the MT's on in the spring.

If you're interested shoot me a PM with a price and let's see if we can work something out.

LOL it figures I just bought this setup cross country and see this...bummer.

Nittos are a decent all around tire and won't be a death wish with wet pavement, last awhile etc. The MT's are going to be sticky and good in the dry pavement!

Sounds like as everyone has said the MT's are the way to go for you.

Bobby