Tire Pressure on Street with Nitto Drag Radials

93gtmustang

5 Year Member
Oct 21, 2006
I have 16" Nitto Drag Radials P245/50R16 96V on my 93 GT Mustang.
I have about 3000 miles on them. They are worn unevenly. Most of the wear is in the middle of the tire. I'm running 30psi on the street and 18psi at the track.
Do you think my street pressure is to high, which is why I am getting wear in the middle of the tire? Just wondering what everyone is running for pressure on the street with Nitto Drag Radials.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If the center is wearing faster, you need to reduce pressure slightly

A really good way to find the ideal pressure is to get one of those infrared temp guns. Go for a drive, get your tires hot then pull over and shoot the gun across the tire tread. Hotspots indicate where the most wear occurs, so if the center is cooler than the edges, you need to air air. If the center is hotter, you need to reduce air. If it's even you got it right

Thanks for all the replys. I just dropped them down to 25lbs. See how that works. I just squeeaked by inspection. I know they won't pass next year.How do you know when they are totally shot? I'm thinking of buying seperate wheels and slicks for the track. I like the Nitto's and not having to change my rears everytime at the track and not have to spend the money for another set of wheels and slicks. But if they are going to wear this fast I might as well just get some BFG g-sports for the street and get a seperate wheel and slick setupfor the rears.
Thanks again