Tire Recommendations needed

mackey

Jan 25, 2003
Beverly, Massachusetts
I need a good street/strip tire that will last a while. The car right now has nitto 555r's on the rear (the ones I am replacing). Does anyone have any insight?

Also I have 245/45/17s up front. If I got 275/40/17s up back would it look funny?

Rims right now are 17x 8 stock. Soon switching to 17 x 9 Cobra R. But I need new tires now to pass inspection.

• Sponsors (?)

I would stick with the Nittos personally. I've had them on for over 15k, and they still have lots of tread left, they are great in the rain, and pretty decent in the turns. I don't have them out back so I don't know how the traction is, I would assume they aren't terrible, and for the price of the tire you can't beat it. I'd also look at BFG KDWS'...they seem to be getting awesome reviews.

I would stick with the Nittos personally. I've had them on for over 15k, and they still have lots of tread left, they are great in the rain, and pretty decent in the turns. I don't have them out back so I don't know how the traction is, I would assume they aren't terrible, and for the price of the tire you can't beat it. I'd also look at BFG KDWS'...they seem to be getting awesome reviews.

I have the KDW's (Note the difference between KDW and KDWS, the S includes snow traction and is an entirely different tire) and they are one sticky tire in the summer.

I've never taken 'em to the strip but they act great with the gobs of torque from my blower and my 3.73s on the street.

I need a good street/strip tire that will last a while. The car right now has nitto 555r's on the rear (the ones I am replacing). Does anyone have any insight?

Also I have 245/45/17s up front. If I got 275/40/17s up back would it look funny?

Rims right now are 17x 8 stock. Soon switching to 17 x 9 Cobra R. But I need new tires now to pass inspection.

i do not like the look of the bfg

i would probably buy the nitto dr

think im gonna buy the new mt,not a long laster though

i live in salem by the way,howdy neighbor:flag:

Whoa, are we talking about the same tire here?

IMG_0866.jpg

did u like the nitto's??

The Kumo Mx is awesome but only have a treadwear rating around 200 so they don't last long. Not good in cold weather either. They are not a "All Season" tire. I have these on one car and I love them.

I also have the Goodrich KDW2 like in the pic above. They have a higher treadwear around 300 so will last longer...just not as sticky. It also is not a "All season" tire and not recommended below 32degrees.

I just bought M/T drag radials for the rear. They werent much more than the nittos ($25 each), and the tread pattern looks much more aggressive! (Very little tread)
Tread pattern on drag radials is a little over-rated IMO. (Although I have seen that the MT's do hook far better than the Nitto's at the track, and seem to be the best DR out there)
"Big Daddy" Gutridge used to get all four tires off the ground with these bad boys, which dont even resemble most drag radials out there.
BFGDR.jpg

Those exact tires were on my car when I bought it, and were worn down pretty good, but they werent hooking for crap. I figure they were just worn, but they werent smooth by any means. The MT's I ordered have a lot of soft rubber surface area, so Im hoping they hook as well as the BFG's are supposed to... Doesnt matter much, cause no rear tire tends to last me more the 8-10 months anway, so Ill keep tryin them until I find one that is perfect for me! Sorry to original poster as this is not a thread about my car...