Tire size for "16 Pony wheels on '87-'90 Mustangs

92LX5spd

15 Year Member
Feb 23, 2013
From what I gather, Ford made changes to the wheel well/fender opening on later '91-'93 Foxes to accommodate the 16" Pony rims and their 225/55/16 tires. I've seen this cause rubbing issues if this combo is used on earlier '87-'90 GTs in the front. Switching to the slightly shorter 225/50/16s alleviates this. My question is, is this a specific early GT-only problem? Can the normal 225/55/16 tires be used on the '87-'90 LXs or, do they too, need the shorter 225/50/16 tires as well? This is for stock ride-height cars. Thanks for any insight.

• Sponsors (?)

I ran the pony wheels with the stock 225/55/15 on my ‘88 LX without issues. No rub even slightly lowered.

I later ran 245/50/16/ with only minor rub which was solved by installing the 91-93 rack limiters. The rub was on the inner fender liners at full lockZ

The difference in the fenders is ahead of the front wheels.
C916BB3E-B03E-4E82-A987-815D77602DBE.jpeg

• Useful
Reactions: 5 users
I've read of others being able to trim and somewhat reshape the front of the smaller '87-'90 fenders to fit the newer '91-'93 extensions. The extensions supposedly hide any ugliness from trimming the fender.

I bought a set of chrome 16" pony stars/cooper tire combo for my 87 last year from lmr but haven't installed them yet, but will be in the near future, this fall so I'll report any interference concerns then..

This is where mine rubbed with OEM wheels & tires, 225-60x15.
The OEM wheels are now spares with 225-50x15.
For 16" wheels, I changed to 245-45x16. When that size was no longer available, I used 225-50x16.
I now have 17" wheels with 245-40x17.

Use this tire sizing calculator.

Attachments

• Tire Rub.JPG
    Tire Rub.JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: 1 user
I try to keep Indian Outlaw as stock as I can. That said I'm running 225/55R16
Now, as mentioned above, I do get a tiny lit bit of rub, hardly worth mentioning on the fender extensions, but that's only because I have the old/longer extensions. Had my donor car been a 90+ instead of an 87, everything would be groovy. So, if you're trying to put pony wheels on something made before pony wheels came out, you may want to swap fenders to, or be prepared to make cuts.
Wait, I feel like a muddied the water.... Outlaw is actually a 91 LX which should take the short extentions. But, some uninsured a-hole turned left in front of me, and the only donor car I could find in my price range was an 87GT - long extensions. to make the nose swap look right, I had to use the 87's extensions because the GT extenstion has the fake air duct which continues into the rest of the nose, and the LX one is round and smooth. Also, one of mine was broken in the crash.

Attachments

• size matters.jpg
    size matters.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 125
  • pony wheel.jpg
    pony wheel.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 114
  • OUZ Stang1.JPG
    OUZ Stang1.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 104
From what I gather, Ford made changes to the wheel well/fender opening on later '91-'93 Foxes to accommodate the 16" Pony rims and their 225/55/16 tires. I've seen this cause rubbing issues if this combo is used on earlier '87-'90 GTs in the front. Switching to the slightly shorter 225/50/16s alleviates this. My question is, is this a specific early GT-only problem? Can the normal 225/55/16 tires be used on the '87-'90 LXs or, do they too, need the shorter 225/50/16 tires as well? This is for stock ride-height cars. Thanks for any insight.
Im waiting to order lmr chrome17"pony kit and contacted them about concerns for rubbing they said they would fit and front may rub at full turn to get turn spacers for race and pinion. I have 88 gt vert and lmr kit was 17x8 in front and 17x9 in rear wit 245/45/17 in front and 275/40/17 in rear they assured me they'd fit. I did read something about 91-93 having larger fender openings though

I bought a set of chrome 16" pony stars/cooper tire combo for my 87 last year from lmr but haven't installed them yet, but will be in the near future, this fall so I'll report any interference concerns then..
Hey did u have a chance to put those on yet . ive been wait I g for lmr to restock 17x8/9 ponys but they keep changing date and everyonee said they are always out and it was worried about rubbing and clearance issues on my 88. So I was gonna just go with the 16" cuz they have them right now just want to know how they fit since yours is a 87. If u could let me know asap I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey did u have a chance to put those on yet . ive been wait I g for lmr to restock 17x8/9 ponys but they keep changing date and everyonee said they are always out and it was worried about rubbing and clearance issues on my 88. So I was gonna just go with the 16" cuz they have them right now just want to know how they fit since yours is a 87. If u could let me know asap I would greatly appreciate it.
Yes I actually did get them installed after having them a year and a half probably while I was working on other items.

They look great! No tire rubbing that I can tell so far. I also got the 86 taillights installed recently also. I will try to post some pics when I get a chance, but I'm extremely happy. They really look good against the medium cabernet paint.

I appreciate the quick response. Also what is ur tire size? And did u get them from lmr cuz I know lmr set xomes with 225/55/16 and one thread I read said they may rub might have to go with a 25/50/16 because of smaller fender opening tyats also why I was asking u. Well I finally see pic in a thread with the difference in fenders from 87-90 and 91 to 93. In case u didnt know its just the front ground effect piece in front of front tire is a little smaller on 91-93 by like an 1 1/2. One more question or if u could send a pic. I was wondering how wheels looked with fenders are the close to being flush like everyone loves or sunk in cuz their 16x7 and need spacers to push them out. Again I appreciate all the info u ate providing cuz this is gonna be a big purchase for me and it just wanna make sure its right the first time. Heres my set up now they are only 15s

Attachments

• 0820222059.jpg
    0820222059.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 0820222100.jpg
    0820222100.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 76
Yes I actually did get them installed after having them a year and a half probably while I was working on other items.

They look great! No tire rubbing that I can tell so far. I also got the 86 taillights installed recently also. I will try to post some pics when I get a chance, but I'm extremely happy. They really look good against the medium cabernet paint.
Looking forward to the photos as well. My friend got this '87 project and he's looking to upgrade the rims and tires. We'll just finish installing the suspension and shocks from 4Wheelonline onto his Wrangler before we can clear the garage and take her in.

Yes purchased from LMR with the better cooper tires installed and balanced. It was like Christmas morning when they showed up, individually boxes and carefully packed. No damage.

The center caps are officially licensed Ford items too and look great

They really transformed the look of the car from the tired old turbine wheels. Between the chrome ponys,. Getting better side ground effects (not warped), installing the 1986 taillights, and replacing the trunk lid to get rid of the ugly luggage rack (my opinion), the car finally looks the way I want it too. I'm very happy with it now.

Spring time the top
IMG_20221202_143808079.jpg
IMG_20221127_133004255.jpg
IMG_20221127_133017362.jpg
is getting replaced. I already have the top. I have to put the red stripe in the side ground effects yet, but I have it from lmr. Probably wait for warmer weather for that also

As promised.... Some pics
IMG_20221209_110254786.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221209_110304993.jpg
    IMG_20221209_110304993.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Yes purchased from LMR with the better cooper tires installed and balanced. It was like Christmas morning when they showed up, individually boxes and carefully packed. No damage.

The center caps are officially licensed Ford items too and look great

They really transformed the look of the car from the tired old turbine wheels. Between the chrome ponys,. Getting better side ground effects (not warped), installing the 1986 taillights, and replacing the trunk lid to get rid of the ugly luggage rack (my opinion), the car finally looks the way I want it too. I'm very happy with it now.

Spring time the top
IMG_20221202_143808079.jpg
IMG_20221127_133004255.jpg
IMG_20221127_133017362.jpg
is getting replaced. I already have the top. I have to put the red stripe in the side ground effects yet, but I have it from lmr. Probably wait for warmer weather for that also

As promised.... Some pics
IMG_20221209_110254786.jpg
sweet Stang, nice color, my buddy had an 87 GT 5.0 with T-Tops loaded with all options it was an Automatic and was that exact color too. going to see if I can find a pic.

sweet Stang, nice color, my buddy had an 87 GT 5.0 with T-Tops loaded with all options it was an Automatic and was that exact color too. going to see if I can find a pic.
Thanks man! Yes I really like it. I was never a big GT fan, but the factory ac delete and manual crank windows is what drew me to it. Old school. Engine bay is a lot less cluttered too without all the ac stuff there.

That's funny. Before i bought my LX, i went to go look at an '87 GT that was the same color. Had T-tops (why i wanted it) and automatic.

Didn't buy it, and was a bit disappointed but on the ride home I coincidentally drove by my LX for sale, and bought it.

Reactions: 1 users
That's funny. Before i bought my LX, i went to go look at an '87 GT that was the same color. Had T-tops (why i wanted it) and automatic.

Didn't buy it, and was a bit disappointed but on the ride home I coincidentally drove by my LX for sale, and bought it.
Yeah, no doubt. Sometimes its when your not looking, you come across by chance what you really want.

check this out...it has a 5-speed.

1. First Start Of An Abandoned Mustang GT After Sitting For 25 Years! Total 80's Time Capsule!​

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRYOrQuIB7U

2. First Drive Of The Abandoned Mustang GT​

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXhg6BBBHPA

3. Driving The Abandoned Mustang GT Was A DISASTER! Fixing It Stranded On The Road With NO CELLPHONES!​

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0FA4vfGajw

4. First Wash & Detail Of The Abandoned Mustang GT That Sat Outside For 25 Years! Insane Results!​

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz3xDx3SNxQ

Last edited: