Tired 5.0

• Sponsors (?)

While most of our cars will probably never get main event coverage at a major collector car auction, the engine that came in the car when it rolled off the line is something to be appreciated. Your engine, tired as it may be has a story of its own to tell. You could do a heart transplant, but it will never be the same car. If you're doing the labor to pull the motor and drop it back in, my vote would be to go with a rebuild of what you've got.

At least you know what you're working with.

So besides E6 or E7 block and heads as appropriate, what numbers and where do we look to see if the engine is original?
On the back of the block there should be a machined pad right behind the china (can we still call it that?) wall with the last few characters of the VIN number (I think last eight) of the car. That's where the term 'numbers matching' came from in the collectors world. Not really important in a daily/hobby car but think about 10-20 years from now when a jazzy scooter can out run a stock 80's-90's mustang.
Wait that's just to painful to comprehend :doh:

So besides E6 or E7 block and heads as appropriate, what numbers and where do we look to see if the engine is original?

The partial VIN stamp would be the best way. There is also a date code cast into the block. The transmission also has a partial VIN stamp, so "matching numbers" is a thing even for this generation Mustang.

I personally wouldn't lose much sleep over it. Find an explorer short/long block and use that as a starting point machine as needed, or rebuild from ground up and then swap all your engine components over. Stuff the original short/long block in a corner if desired.

Reactions: 1 user
I
While most of our cars will probably never get main event coverage at a major collector car auction, the engine that came in the car when it rolled off the line is something to be appreciated. Your engine, tired as it may be has a story of its own to tell. You could do a heart transplant, but it will never be the same car. If you're doing the labor to pull the motor and drop it back in, my vote would be to go with a rebuild of what you've got.

At least you know what you're working with.
I would never sell it, my dad owned it before me and wrecked it 13 years ago last year I shipped it up to michigan and got it running, it’s more then just a mustang to me, but i get the not the same car thing

On the back of the block there should be a machined pad right behind the china (can we still call it that?) wall with the last few characters of the VIN number (I think last eight) of the car. That's where the term 'numbers matching' came from in the collectors world. Not really important in a daily/hobby car but think about 10-20 years from now when a jazzy scooter can out run a stock 80's-90's mustang.
Wait that's just to painful to comprehend :doh:
I forgot where they stamped the 302s. Thanks for the confirmation. I will check that and the transmission sometime soon. It’s doubtful either is numbers matching, but I might be surprised.
Pleade carry on OP.

I

I would never sell it, my dad owned it before me and wrecked it 13 years ago last year I shipped it up to michigan and got it running, it’s more then just a mustang to me, but i get the not the same car thing
I totally understand that connection. We've had some family cars that pain me to not own today. In that case, go ahead and keep it as original as you can, if that's your thing. Rebuild rather than replace! Good luck!

I'm with 5l5 on use of an explorer engine. You can get a complete One at a pic a part yard, rebuild it , you'll have better heads and intake(gt40) and keep the original engine tucked away.

Reactions: 1 users