Tires for 86 GT

76_Cobraii_mustang

5 Year Member
Jul 23, 2018
I have a stock all original 86 mustang GT convertible. I am trying to buy tires. I like the Cooper Cobra GT's. Does anybody know if a 225 70 15 tire will fit on all 4 wheels without rubbing? Let me know. Thanks for the help

• Sponsors (?)

Your car came stock with 225-60-15 sized tires.

You can compare the difference here...

IMO, it's too large of a sidewall and will look goofy. I'm not sure if it would rub, but it definitely might.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok thanks for response. I will probably stick with stock size

I believe that (working from memory here, it's morning, and I'm only halfway through a cup of coffee) Cooper has a 245/55R15 that fits "perfectly" and without modification, on a 4-eye Fox.

I can just about guarantee you that you will appreciate the difference it makes in the look of the stance. It's been a long time and I think the overall height of the tire is slightly less and made the speedo needle 3 to 5 MPH higher than actual.

That little bit of extra width combined with the slightly lower profile makes it look like you lowered the car off of the factory truck springs. :chin

Your car came stock with 225-60-15 sized tires.

You can compare the difference here...

IMO, it's too large of a sidewall and will look goofy. I'm not sure if it would rub, but it definitely might.

Very nice, simple calculator you found there:
1594381322622.png

According to this, the height is exactly the same. Perhaps it's just my speedo that is off. LoL

I just looked and unfortunately, I don't see any 55 sidewall series tires in their lineup anymore. :(

Not for 15 inch anyway. That is sad.

They do list a 245/60R15 that is slightly taller and you gain a good bit of width.

Edit:
I just wanted to come back and add some tire pronz.

1594382028143.png

That's a 55 series tire. Now, I can only find them in D.O.T slicks. :notnice: I guess they figure everyone will just run skinnies up front :shrug:

"No", says the finger. :nono:
~Madmike

Last edited:
Those gatorback replicas are crazy money. I ended up just getting BF-Goodrich. I drove the car all summer with no issues so going with the stock size was definitely the best choice. They don’t look half bad either if I do say so myself.

Attachments

• A1B2C20F-5B50-403C-B8C0-FEF88CBAD2CB.jpeg
    A1B2C20F-5B50-403C-B8C0-FEF88CBAD2CB.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 52
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users