Tires for a 10.5" wide wheel?

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
What is the smallest size you can run?

I have found Sumitumo HTZ's or something for $99 in a 315/35/17, looks good. Thats what is currently on the wheels now but they will not be coming with them.

On my stockers I have 245/45/17's in all 4 corners. I take it a 245/45/17 would not be wide enough for the 10.5" wide wheel?

• Sponsors (?)

What is the smallest size you can run?

On my stockers I have 245/45/17's in all 4 corners. I take it a 245/45/17 would not be wide enough for the 10.5" wide wheel?

Heh, not even close. The smallest I'd run is a 295, and even that would be exposing some rim lip.

99 bux for that tire is cheap, just get that unless you can afford a better tire.

Get the Sumitomo's you won't regret it. They are a great tire for the price in that size. I've gone through 2 sets on my GT and get almost 30,000 miles out of them. And they have never rubbed anything, I run C springs and Tokicos with an additional 1/2 coil cut from the rear.

I have Sumi's on my 17x9 and 17x10.5, and I can't friggen stand them. I almost want to powerslide around every corner just to make them bald more quickly.

They are horrible. They follow every little crack and groove in the road. Maybe not everybody elses Sumi's are like that, but mine are. I figure, I got what I paid for. They barely allow the car to safely move down the road. That's probably worth it.

Sorry about your experience with them but your right for $99 your not getting a tire that's great for Canyon Carving or the Dragstrip. But if your looking for a decent tire for a 10.5 inch rim for a daily driver ( read Not racecar) you can't beat it.

You can read up on customer reviews of the tire over at Tirerack.com they get very good review from Mustang , Corvette, Camaro, Porsche, GTOs and more.

Of the almost 300 reviews posted on the HTRZ more than 2/3rds of them score it better than 7 out of 10.

Compared to other tires in the same class it scores better than the Goodyear F1 according to customers rankings.

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surv...reModel=HTR+Z&tirePageLocQty=&commentStatus=P

jeffnoel said:
Sorry about your experience with them but your right for $99 your not getting a tire that's great for Canyon Carving or the Dragstrip. But if your looking for a decent tire for a 10.5 inch rim for a daily driver ( read Not racecar) you can't beat it.

Well, I'm not using my tires for canyon carving, or racing. I use them for normal street driving, and they suck for that too.

I seem to recall several threads a while back of people complaining about similar problems of grabbing road grooves or cracks. Hopefully some of these people will chime in to the thread.

Well, I'm not using my tires for canyon carving, or racing. I use them for normal street driving, and they suck for that too.

I seem to recall several threads a while back of people complaining about similar problems of grabbing road grooves or cracks. Hopefully some of these people will chime in to the thread.

If that's what you think you should go fill out the survey at Tirerack, my 1st set also grabbed grooves then I got it aligned and it stopped. :D

Get the Sumitomo's you won't regret it. They are a great tire for the price in that size. I've gone through 2 sets on my GT and get almost 30,000 miles out of them. And they have never rubbed anything, I run C springs and Tokicos with an additional 1/2 coil cut from the rear.

i got my GT with 40k, and i now have 46k. i bought it with slightly used sumitomos on teh rear. threw on a new set at 42k, and these are 1/2 worn already. i knwo i beat the crap out of them, but come on!! thats jstu terrible!!! IIRC the treadwear ont ehse is like, 150? 120? the generals that i ahve on my jeep are better than these, adn they are a 235/60R16!!

A 40 series is too tall.

35 at the biggest IMO.

His 40 is only .3 inches taller than the factory 245 which is better than a shorter than stock tire. At least with the 40 his speedo is only off by 1.1% slow which means when his speedo shows 60 he's actually doing 60.7 mph. And fewer miles are showing on his odometer than actual also unless he's corrected for the height diff.

I Have had TWO Sets of the Sumitomas THEY ARE A HORRIBLE TIRE!!!! They wore in the middle and I was running 30 PSI. I bought a Set of BFG KDW 285/40/17 for 274 Shipped! I have driven about 10,000 miles on them with no signs of treadwear with spirited driving. They Hook Great on the street better than the 315's. These tires also do pretty good in the snow! Wayy better than the 315's and I have hit a couple curbs and it didn't damage my rims! there is a Lip on these tires that hangs over the rim. Best tires I have ever had. Here is a link. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...partnum=84YR7GFTAKDW&fromCompare1=yes&place=4

As far as throwing off your speedometer Don't worry about anything under 2 percent. if you run a tire that is almost bald that is 20/32 of tire that is gone to the total diameter. that is .625 inches the diameter of the 285/40/17 is .3 inches larger in diameter. so it will tac less miles also! If your worried about that .3 inches just burn it off when you buy the new ones! lol!