• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Tkx installation problem

  • Thread starter Thread starter dropteeth
  • Start date Start date Aug 21, 2026
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Next
1 of 3 Next Last
D

dropteeth

Member
Apr 25, 2022
85
11
18
Ottawa
Aug 21, 2026
#1
  • Aug 21, 2026
  • #1
Im having a hard time getting the tkx installed its about 1/4 inch from sitting flush but won't go all the way in... ive tried pushing in the clutch and pushing/wiggling ...im out of ideas... anyone run into this?
 

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,160
4,250
183
Claremore, OK
Aug 21, 2026
#2
  • Aug 21, 2026
  • #2
Need more details on the install. Based on the underside of the car we can assume it is a Fox Body but other than that I have no idea as to the combination you are installing and what supporting parts you are installing it with. What transmission was in the car before the TKX? What bell housing are you using? Did you install a pilot bearing, replace a pilot bearing, or leave the one that was in there? If you put one in what brand and part number was it? Did you index the bell housing?

The more info you can provide the better.
 
D

dropteeth

Member
Apr 25, 2022
85
11
18
Ottawa
Aug 21, 2026
#3
  • Aug 21, 2026
  • #3
Thanks for the Reply... its going in a foxbody 347 Stroker ... new tkx set up with tkx bellhousing which has been indexed ... installed and new :

Ford Racing M7600A Roller Pilot Bearing​

1986-01 Mustang McLeod Super Street Pro Clutch Kit - 10.5" - 26 Spline 4.6/5.0





​

 

revhead347

Apparently my ex-husband made that mistake.
20+ Year Stangneter
Jun 14, 2004
9,303
1,648
214
Acworth, GA
Aug 21, 2026
#4
  • Aug 21, 2026
  • #4
The last time I had that problem, it was because I put the clutch disk in backwards. It was 23 years ago, and you probably aren't as retarded as I am, but you might want to check that.

Kurt
 
Reactions: DadLife0724 and nickyb

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,056
10,678
213
polk county florida
Aug 22, 2026
#5
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #5
I would pull the trans out, put a dab of grease on the end of the input shaft and install to the point it stops, remove the trans and look at the pattern on the grease to see if the pilot bearing is the issue.
 

manicmechanic007

5 Year Member
Sep 26, 2017
2,554
724
143
Roy, Utah
Aug 22, 2026
#6
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #6
Old trick is to push in the clutch
That allows the disc to move slightly, and will allow the input to go the rest of the way in
 

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,160
4,250
183
Claremore, OK
Aug 22, 2026
#7
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #7
He mentioned that he pushed the clutch in with no luck in the first post which is normally the easy button like you mentioned.

With what has been tried and only 1/4” left I would be suspecting an install issue with the clutch plate as well. All my experience tells me the input shaft goes into the pilot bearing more than 1/4” so I would think the input shaft has already started into the pilot bearing and is hung up somewhere else.

Be sure to measure the ID of the hole in the bell housing and the OD of the input shaft retainer for the transmission. Could be an interference issue there.
 
Reactions: General karthief

TTSaleen

Active Member
Apr 27, 2025
199
193
53
NC
Aug 22, 2026
#8
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #8
I've installed 2 of these.
The clearance is really tight and trying to wiggle it flush didn't work for me.
I used the 4 bolts to ensure it was aligned and tightened them up slowly in about 1/4" criss-cross patterns and it pulled up fine on my stuff.
Never had a problem, just don't crank down too hard on 1 bolt only as you may damage something.
Ensure it goes in evenly and you should be fine.
Ryan
 
Reactions: General karthief and manicmechanic007

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,160
4,250
183
Claremore, OK
Aug 22, 2026
#9
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #9
I guess I got lucky on mine. It went in with a little wiggle and rotating. Lacked about 1/16” and that pulled up with the bolts very easily. That small of a gap did not bother me and I knew all of the parts I had worked as I test fit things out of the car.
 
D

dropteeth

Member
Apr 25, 2022
85
11
18
Ottawa
Aug 22, 2026
#10
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #10
AeroCoupe said:
He mentioned that he pushed the clutch in with no luck in the first post which is normally the easy button like you mentioned.

With what has been tried and only 1/4” left I would be suspecting an install issue with the clutch plate as well. All my experience tells me the input shaft goes into the pilot bearing more than 1/4” so I would think the input shaft has already started into the pilot bearing and is hung up somewhere else.

Be sure to measure the ID of the hole in the bell housing and the OD of the input shaft retainer for the transmission. Could be an interference issue there.
Click to expand...
Thanks for your response... I was fairly confident it had reached the pilot bearing... I pretty sure that clutch plate when in right. But ill double check again... the bell housing does fit properly with the transmission...
 

manicmechanic007

5 Year Member
Sep 26, 2017
2,554
724
143
Roy, Utah
Aug 22, 2026
#11
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #11
Missed that about already hitting the clutch
and
Yes, if only 1/4 out I see nothing wrongh with any of the parts
Run it in with the bolts
Happens all the time to me when I put clutches in trucks with 7.5's and ZF's
Might just be tight dowl pins
 
Reactions: General karthief, AeroCoupe and TTSaleen

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,160
4,250
183
Claremore, OK
Aug 22, 2026
#12
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #12
Man if you are confident you have the clutch plate in the right way just slowly bring it home with the bolts. Just make damn sure the trans is square to the bell when doing this. It should take little effort so if you get resistance you do you.
 
D

dropteeth

Member
Apr 25, 2022
85
11
18
Ottawa
Aug 22, 2026
#13
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #13
AeroCoupe said:
Man if you are confident you have the clutch plate in the right way just slowly bring it home with the bolts. Just make damn sure the trans is square to the bell when doing this. It should take little effort so if you get resistance you do you.
Click to expand...
thanks for this....ill give it a go.
 

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,160
4,250
183
Claremore, OK
Aug 22, 2026
#14
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #14
And I hope it works…..
 
D

dropteeth

Member
Apr 25, 2022
85
11
18
Ottawa
Aug 23, 2026
#15
  • Aug 23, 2026
  • #15
So everything was installed correctly only thing it could be is the pilot bearing but It bottomed out... at least I think it did. Does it look like its installed correctly?
 

Attachments

  • 1000050642.webp
    102.3 KB · Views: 89
F

fasterthangas

Active Member
Oct 5, 2016
276
83
38
Phoenix
Aug 23, 2026
#16
  • Aug 23, 2026
  • #16
AeroCoupe said:
I guess I got lucky on mine. It went in with a little wiggle and rotating. Lacked about 1/16” and that pulled up with the bolts very easily. That small of a gap did not bother me and I knew all of the parts I had worked as I test fit things out of the car.
Click to expand...
Same here.
 

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,160
4,250
183
Claremore, OK
Aug 23, 2026
#17
  • Aug 23, 2026
  • #17
Man that looks right to me. Be sure to wipe the flywheel face with brake cleaner. Even when brand new I wipe them down with it.
 
Reactions: limp and General karthief
D

dropteeth

Member
Apr 25, 2022
85
11
18
Ottawa
Aug 23, 2026
#18
  • Aug 23, 2026
  • #18
Thanks... will put it back together and try again
 
Reactions: DadLife0724

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
5 Year Member
Oct 4, 2020
5,501
2,922
173
Florida
Aug 23, 2026
#19
  • Aug 23, 2026
  • #19
Did you test fit the pilot bearing on the trans shaft?? DAMHIK this.......
 

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
5 Year Member
Oct 4, 2020
5,501
2,922
173
Florida
Aug 23, 2026
#20
  • Aug 23, 2026
  • #20
I could not get mine on before I installed it on the engine into the car.... Neighbor came over and both of us could not get it on.. Even used the cherry picker to hold it up ( old man idea) and could not get it.... Been a few minutes for me but I did alot of these back in the day....
I finally took off the bell housing and attached the trans to it and installed it as a bell/Trans unit .... It slid right in...... yeah, I don't get it either, but I took it as a win.......
 
Reactions: General karthief
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Next
1 of 3 Next Last
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

3.08 gears with a manual trans
  • limp
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
43
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Qtrhrse23
3
Hammer shifter problems
  • 387lx
  • Apr 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
228
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 11, 2026
General karthief
K
TKX Transmission Shifting Problem
  • KWC156
  • Jun 23, 2025
  • Other Auto Tech
  • 2
Replies
21
Views
3K
Other Auto Tech Jun 13, 2026
427nostang
4
TKX Install in the Coupe
  • AeroCoupe
  • Apr 12, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2 3
Replies
48
Views
3K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 26, 2026
Noobz347
Considering widening my rear wheels, would like to verify my thoughts on fitment
  • 2000xp8
  • Jul 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
37
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?