To sell or not?...looking for perspective.

deathb4dismount

Crap, didn’t realize my crotch was in that picture
15 Year Member
Oct 6, 2011
THE BUCKET
So I listed the car for sale this week and I am not sure if I am going through with it. Just wondered if anyone has experience selling their beloved fox and either regretted it after, or felt like they made the right choice. The reason I want to sell is because I have a family of 5 and cramming them all into the fox just doesn't work. I want to be able to cruise with them and enjoy the hobby. My kids love the foxbody, but my wife isn't a fan. She does love anything 60's though. I've been considering getting into a classic 60s ford/mercury something like a Galaxie or 4 door Fairlane. I think a ranch wagon would be pretty sweet. I know the fox wouldn't offset the cost of a true classic, but I have money set aside that I planned on using for some major improvements to the fox. I also am aware that a 60s Ford would come with its own challenges as well. Trying to find a car with a disc brake conversion isn't easy.

Just looking for some perspective from the community. Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 70 that I can't wait to get rid of. It's been a nightmare getting it from 95% complete to 100% complete, especially when I found out the whole wiring harness was toast.

Now the 90 convertible, I'm into that for very little money and the kids absolutely love it. Even with the 2.73 gears, it's enough to push you back in the seat and from 0-45 feels faster than it really is and sounds great.

Don't discount how much fun a convertible can be for kids. My $0.02

Reactions: 1 user
Stocks,property,and older cars. When you sell them you can't get them back for the price. If you have a nice one at least put a high price on it. I would list it nationally for the guy that has been looking, and will spent to get what he wants.

Reactions: 1 users
It kind of depends on how much you love the car. I sold a fox that I loved (but didn't realize how much I loved it) and the second the new owner drove away I was sick. I ended up getting it back fortunately. I sold a 2003 Mach 1 which was a really nice car, but I didn't "love" that car and could care less if I ever see it again. I would keep it personally.

Chris

Not my fox, but i sold my 2003GT to buy a 4-door car due to having a kid. At the time i said it was no big deal, but looking back I wish i kept that car.

I know where it is, but part of me is convinced i should let it go. It has 80K more miles than when i sold it, so who knows if it's as pristine as it was when i got rid of it. Only way I can get a comparable car to it now is to pay more than I should for an 01-04GT. My point is that you may think you are ok with letting it go, but it might come back to haunt you some day.

Can you just pick up a second car as a family vehicle?

I toy with the idea of selling mine, but I know I’d regret it. Funny, it’s my wife that wants me to keep it, which I’ll probably will. It’s just me, her and my daughter, so we have fun in it.

Not my fox, but i sold my 2003GT to buy a 4-door car due to having a kid. At the time i said it was no big deal, but looking back I wish i kept that car.

I know where it is, but part of me is convinced i should let it go. It has 80K more miles than when i sold it, so who knows if it's as pristine as it was when i got rid of it. Only way I can get a comparable car to it now is to pay more than I should for an 01-04GT. My point is that you may think you are ok with letting it go, but it might come back to haunt you some day.

Can you just pick up a second car as a family vehicle?

Family car is already covered, and I daily a Dodge ram, the fox is just the seasonal toy. Showing up to the car show in hyundai suv just isnt as cool as a fox or say a big ass Galaxie. I've sold one before and low and behold I ended right back here. It's more about the body style than the specific car itself.

Do you have savings or long term investment accounts? The Fox is lining up as an asset to look after you better on returns than all of them. :D

Stick with your cards.

It's a :poo:ty econobox from the 80's it will never been seen as an investment car. I understand value is going up, but it will eventually level off, just like the 65-70 cars did. Barring a rare Cobra R, or a something with 7 miles on it, it's never going to amount to much. The collector car industry will always tell you a car is a collector, it's good business for them.

• Agree
Hmm however the best dividends are always on the things other people don't expect to happen. There is a big 80s/90s renaissance and collector movement happening which corona/lockdown has accelerated big time when we had too much pent up time with our machinations! People are deciding what's worth saving from those eras (even crappy old 80s electronics are rocketing) and what isn't and even the worst enemies of Foxbody's have to put them up there as the top handful of iconically era defining cars. Like you said yourself there's no where else to get those lines / body shape!

So yeah don't discount it! The more they're overlooked the more are neglected the more that will rust away the more valuable the few left are etc! Foxbody's have been getting love-ins from at least three big names in the past year I think? Vanilla Ice, Ken Block & Snoop Dogg. The kids know and they're coming to snap up every last one of those Foxbodys I reckon! Certainly right now they're punching above their weight on the car scene I think?

But on a more pragmatic note if I was in your position and I loved the car I'd definitely feel a little bit smug about being able to indulge in my car and plus sink a little bit of money into parts of which over 5-10 years or something like that I know the car is likely to appreciate enough to pay me back or more!

I stand by the thought of her looking after you. Better than 3% APR ;):cheers:

Last edited:
It's a :poo:ty econobox from the 80's it will never been seen as an investment car. I understand value is going up, but it will eventually level off, just like the 65-70 cars did. Barring a rare Cobra R, or a something with 7 miles on it, it's never going to amount to much. The collector car industry will always tell you a car is a collector, it's good business for them.
Everything levels off, it's all a matter of when.

But on a more pragmatic note if I was in your position and I loved the car I'd definitely feel a little bit smug about being able to indulge in my car and plus sink a little bit of money into parts of which over 5-10 years or something like that I know the car is likely to appreciate enough to pay me back or more!

I stand by the thought of her looking after you. Better than 3% APR ;):cheers:

SPY has being doing 100% return roughly every 5 years. VOO is another ETF with similar returns.

As much as I love my Foxbody, I’d rather have money in the market. If the market tanks badly enough to cause panic, a 30 year old Foxbody certainly is not going to be a hedge against that.

Reactions: 2 users
SPY has being doing 100% return roughly every 5 years. VOO is another ETF with similar returns.

As much as I love my Foxbody, I’d rather have money in the market. If the market tanks badly enough to cause panic, a 30 year old Foxbody certainly is not going to be a hedge against that.

Very true! If there are any shenanigans on the horizon then there's not a whole lot going to weather you from that storm. Certainly not old motors haha!
I'd only had in mind something more conservative like a good savings account or bond. Classic cars are always good and the induction of the class of '80-'90 (Heck even '00s are being collected now) into the Hall of Fame is an interesting and fun wave to ride compared to keeping your money in the bank if you're more of a play it safe kinda fella!

Last edited:
Yah, adjusted for inflation a 65 Mustang is worth about the same now as it was when purchased new then. Unless you bought and put it in a time capsule, not really getting much out of it. The idea of the fox as an investment is just not something I’m taking into consideration.

Ahh so it's just the itch? Are you taking the idea of investment into consideration at all then I suppose is the thing!

I say go have fun with whatever's gonna hit the spot if you've got parts money waiting to put towards whatever the Fox brings you! But I think the Foxbody scene is only getting started and if they pulled you back once... in my experience I've never been able to get the hooks out once they're into me :nice:

At least they are worth 7-10 grand. Its something, and not so bad to put money into. Could be building a Honda. I'v seen eighties dodge wagons on craigslist for six grand. My fave is the olds cutlass 72 wagon for twelve grand

I just sold my 93GT after owning it for 14yrs. car was in great shape and I got a number I was happy with.
My kids are older an out of the house , my wife could take it or leave it and it sat in the garage more than anything else.
But the determining factor for me was we are moving from CT. to southern VA. in a few months and with the CRAZY housing market we
may be in a temporary housing situation for a bit.
Given the shipping and potential storage I decided it was time to sell, I had A LOT of fun with that car and when it was heading down the street on a flat bed to it's new home my wife did have to console me a bit...lol
I will take that money and roll it back into another Mustang once we get settled , I'd like to find a clean mostly stock 03-04 Mach I or ( pipedream ) Terminator.