To sell or not?...looking for perspective.

Yah, adjusted for inflation a 65 Mustang is worth about the same now as it was when purchased new then. Unless you bought and put it in a time capsule, not really getting much out of it. The idea of the fox as an investment is just not something I’m taking into consideration.
Yeah, i try to explain to people all the time, that keeping a car for 20 years, insuring it and maintaining it isn't really an investment. Could work on high end supercar or luxury cars, but a foxbody, maybe never.
It's just a car, IMO sell it if you can find a good replacement that actually seats 6 and is best for your family.
You are most likely in a unique position compared to most here with a need to move that many people.
I wouldn't have a clue what handles that big of a crew.

What i wouldn't do is sell it without a plan, but seems like you are currently doing that, so...

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, i try to explain to people all the time, that keeping a car for 20 years, insuring it and maintaining it isn't really an investment. Could work on high end supercar or luxury cars, but a foxbody, maybe never.
It's just a car, IMO sell it if you can find a good replacement that actually seats 6 and is best for your family.
You are most likely in a unique position compared to most here with a need to move that many people.
I wouldn't have a clue what handles that big of a crew.

What i wouldn't do is sell it without a plan, but seems like you are currently doing that, so...

Something that seats 5. If my wife had any taste I would scoop up the Fairmont wagon that's been hanging around locally, haha.

I'm so glad my fox is not a toy for me, she's my daily and my on going project. The purchase price was a total of $2,107 tax,title,tags,and smog. That was 7/7/07 upgrades as I seen fit include 3g alt.,fenderwell cai, alum. Rad. Electric fan, longtubes, now shorties, two cats x pipe, now h pipe, flows,now Slp loadmouths, full length subframes,metco rear upper an lower arms, poly bushings in front arms,solid motor mounts, short shifter, cobra brake upgrade, 17 inch premium gt rims, Corbuea seats, and whatever I forgot.
I'm not selling ever! I was offered five times what I paid and I drove her over 100,000 miles . Just seven more years and I'll retire, then she'll be my toy.Or maybe not.

So I listed the car for sale this week and I am not sure if I am going through with it. Just wondered if anyone has experience selling their beloved fox and either regretted it after, or felt like they made the right choice. The reason I want to sell is because I have a family of 5 and cramming them all into the fox just doesn't work. I want to be able to cruise with them and enjoy the hobby. My kids love the foxbody, but my wife isn't a fan. She does love anything 60's though. I've been considering getting into a classic 60s ford/mercury something like a Galaxie or 4 door Fairlane. I think a ranch wagon would be pretty sweet. I know the fox wouldn't offset the cost of a true classic, but I have money set aside that I planned on using for some major improvements to the fox. I also am aware that a 60s Ford would come with its own challenges as well. Trying to find a car with a disc brake conversion isn't easy.

Just looking for some perspective from the community. Thanks guys.
I bought my ‘86 new, but I wasn’t in a position to keep it pristine, as I needed it for a daily driver. I drove it daily for 13 years in every kind of weather, occasionally garaging it. I decided to keep it when I bought a truck, but regularly got offers to sell it. After sitting for 15 years+, I have it running and am enjoying it. I’m glad I didn’t sell it.

But you need to do what’s best for you and your family.

I sold my /90 7 up. Took some time before I realized it was a major error. You don't know what you've got until you lose (sell) it.
I suggest you store your mustang somewhere secure and out of sight, do not look at it or touch it for 1 year, if during that time, you don't miss it then you're probably ok to sell.

Reactions: 1 users