Hey guys so about a year ago i picked up a 1989 lx hatch and recently my torque box has torn
F3CC647E-3F4C-4408-9D1A-D339570AA43D.jpeg
the car sat somewhere for a while so it’s a bit rusty underneath but it’s cracked in half and it’s cracked the floor, how should i go about fixing this? a friend of mine said he could make me a brace that would be bolted through the floor and welded in to hold it together and tie into the other box and all that but i’ve also seen that you can just get replacement torque boxes like the s-box. how should i go about this? all opinions are appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

You can fix it by drilling the ends of all those cracks and welding them up. Then use a torque box reinforcement kit to weld and bolt extra plating in.

There are several options for complete replacement.

I tore the boxes in my 89 convertible years ago. Had a friend ( professional welder ) weld the cracks up and reinforce them. He was known for chassis work and I never had an issue again.

You can fix it by drilling the ends of all those cracks and welding them up. Then use a torque box reinforcement kit to weld and bolt extra plating in.

There are several options for complete replacement.

I tore the boxes in my 89 convertible years ago. Had a friend ( professional welder ) weld the cracks up and reinforce them. He was known for chassis work and I never had an issue again.
I was thinking that at first but recently it started making a metal popping sound when i would accelerate so i parked it to get it fixed but i’m pretty sure the torque box is cracked all the through now, i’ll have to take a picture of it later, is it still possible to just weld it back together and then weld around the seam of the whole torque box? also would i just have to hammer the torque box so that it’s against the floor pan again?

Yes, you can straighten it out and weld it back up. Mine was completely torn on the drivers side. The lower control arm mounting point was also torn. It was so bad the car would sway different directions when on or off the gas. My buddy Rick did a great job and car tracked straight as an arrow.

What other issues with cracks and rust is there?
If the rust and cracks are that bad there, I bet there are issues that require more patch and welding that need to be addressed in other areas.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
What other issues with cracks and rust is there?
If the rust and cracks are that bad there, I bet there are issues that require more patch and welding that need to be addressed in other areas.
surprisingly it’s pretty clean and most of the rust is just surface rust, i do have a hole in my drivers side floor towards the front but the guy who is welding my boxes is gonna fix that. it has the usual bit of strut tower rust as well but it’s pretty minor

I came across these recently:

Have not installed nor do I know anybody that has.

Note that you can choose upper/lower or both.