Track Heat PLUS converters = Better than Street Intake without Converters?

Pokageek

Jun 10, 2005
MA, USA
My combo with Track Heat Intake and converters = good low AND high? The FM Delta Flows are still too loud so I want to quite it down a bit w/ converters. If I do this, I will end up with too much low end as I have a lot now with the TW street intake. Sooo...to balance it out and give me more top end will the car run faster and better with a track heat intake good to 6500 RPM especially considering the car hits a wall at 5500RPM with the street intake?? Good idea?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

..on removing cats..."I know this from experience.. It does increase hp but does drop the tq numbers.. On a stocker.." - 93cobra12

"94 Mustang GT Dyno tests

Pypes 2.5" system with X w/o cats V-Force Mufflers 229.6hp @4600 rpms
Pypes 2.5" system with X w/Pypes mini cats V-Force Mufflers 227.1hp @4600 rpms " - pypesexaust

"I would run it with cats. I am running my car with cats and i can run it on the street because it passes emissions and sniffer tests. Also, since there is very little, if any, loss in power due to using them, there really is no reason not to. And it keeps the air breathable to, though that is not all that popular an opinion among us HP junkies." - Pstatic

I guess these guys would disagree with you. Do you have any facts to support your flag?

I would also like to add, my header temps ran much higher with those stupid cats on b4 from memory. O' well.

Pokageek said:
..on removing cats..."I know this from experience.. It does increase hp but does drop the tq numbers.. On a stocker.." - 93cobra12

"94 Mustang GT Dyno tests

Pypes 2.5" system with X w/o cats V-Force Mufflers 229.6hp @4600 rpms
Pypes 2.5" system with X w/Pypes mini cats V-Force Mufflers 227.1hp @4600 rpms " - pypesexaust

"I would run it with cats. I am running my car with cats and i can run it on the street because it passes emissions and sniffer tests. Also, since there is very little, if any, loss in power due to using them, there really is no reason not to. And it keeps the air breathable to, though that is not all that popular an opinion among us HP junkies." - Pstatic

I guess these guys would disagree with you. Do you have any facts to support your flag?

I would also like to add, my header temps ran much higher with those stupid cats on b4 from memory. O' well.

Your Pypesexhaust quote shows +2.5hp w/o cats. Also, that is over high-flow "mini cats", not the extremely restrictive factory cats. You did not specify which style converter you plan on using. If you use the factory cats, you'll lose horsepower AND torque throughout the powerband:

94must-dyno02.jpg

If you decide to spend the money for "high-flow mini-cats", you will end up with only a minor difference (these tables are from YOUR reference site, and I would like to add that every setup will act DIFFERENTLY):

94must-dyno03.jpg

You will be spending a whole lot of money for a very SLIGHT difference. I hardly think that -2.4hp and +2.5ft/lbs will give you "too much low end".

Also, how is INCREASING intake flow, while DECREASING exhaust flow going to "balance it out"? :shrug: You'll just be choking your car man. If you want it quieter, buy different mufflers.

The only reason I would ever run cats is for emissions requirements, and they definately would be high-flow versions. JMHO

"If you decide to spend the money for "high-flow mini-cats", you will end up with only a minor difference (these tables are from YOUR reference site, and I would like to add that every setup will act DIFFERENTLY):"

Good Idea Loudpedal. And thanks for the reply. I think I would most likely take your advice of the higher flow cats based on this if I am geeting what you are saying. I have stock cats in the garage but the high flow cats are truely higher flowing right?

Pokageek said:
high flow cats are truely higher flowing right?

As far as I know, yes, but I have had no ACTUAL personal experience with them. This is a quote from Random Technology's website (a high flow cat manufacturer):

"In fact, Random Technology catalytic converters actually have a higher flow capacity than many mufflers. As an example, a 3" diameter 9000 series SuperStainless converter flows 502 cfm. Most 3" diameter high performance mufflers flow less than 475 cfm at the same test pressure."

http://www.randomtechnology.com/