Drivetrain Trans cooler on c4 swapped 90 GT

Justin87

5 Year Member
Aug 7, 2017
Hello all,

Over the last year and a half I've slowing been putting together my 90 GT with a DSS racing 306 and built C4 I purchased from a family friend.

Things are nearly done with the car but I do have some questions about running an external Transmission cooler.

My questions are:

1. The aluminum radiator I have is for an automatic trans, so it has the cooler previsions. Should I just use that?

2. If I use an external cooler, does anyone have recommendations on:
Type?
Brand?
Mounting?

3. Are AN lines worth it? or can I go with rubber transmission cooler lines?

4. Does the crazy deep pan change anyones opinion on an of those previous questions? (see photo. Car is thick with undercoating. please ignore)

Pictures, advice, and questions are welcome!

Thank you for your time

-Justin

IMG_6045.JPG

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Let me give you my opinions and experience on a street driven tow truck, I know you're going to say but it's a truck not a race car (you are building a race car right? That's the only reason to put a c4 in a mustang nowadays) the first-time the trans (E4OD?) Was rebuilt the shop put duel coolers, the trans already had the deaper 4x4 pan so there was 3-4 quart extra capacity,
The average miles per rebuild for a Ford Tow truck trans at the time was less than 100k (most were in the 70k range.
The next rebuild on mine occurred about 150k later.
I believe in extra capacity and external cooling.
Now driving conditions and weather play a factor, like driving in freezing conditions with external cooler may keep the trans fluid from reaching operating temp, but this is a race car right?
There are a few other things that come into play like converter slippage and the like.

Let me give you my opinions and experience on a street driven tow truck, I know you're going to say but it's a truck not a race car (you are building a race car right? That's the only reason to put a c4 in a mustang nowadays) the first-time the trans (E4OD?) Was rebuilt the shop put duel coolers, the trans already had the deaper 4x4 pan so there was 3-4 quart extra capacity,
The average miles per rebuild for a Ford Tow truck trans at the time was less than 100k (most were in the 70k range.
The next rebuild on mine occurred about 150k later.
I believe in extra capacity and external cooling.
Now driving conditions and weather play a factor, like driving in freezing conditions with external cooler may keep the trans fluid from reaching operating temp, but this is a race car right?
There are a few other things that come into play like converter slippage and the like.

Thats good info!

It didn’t start out that way but yup this is definitely not a daily driver, this is most certainly a race car.