Transmission is making loud WHOOSH noises, varies with clutch depression

topless98gt

Adhesive Feces
Mar 31, 2005
Arlington, TX
When I pulled into the driveway today, I noticed that my car was making a really loud "whoosh" sound, and it got louder/varied in tone when I pressed the clutch in.

The clutch has made a small noise for some time now (ever since I took the car to the track). Sometimes it's quiet, sometimes it not so quiet, but now it's LOUD AS HELL!

Gf's dad said it's probably the TOB. I looked under the car and noticed that my K-member was a little wet, possibly a tranny leak. I will jack the car up when it cools down (just got home from a 150mi drive) and see if that's the case.

Does anyone else have any ideas what it could be? I really don't feel like pulling the transmission and replacing the TOB...but if I have to, I might as well throw a new clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate in while I've got it dropped.

Thanks once again :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

I just put the car up on ramps, and the whole undercarriage seems to be spotted with red fluid. My first thought was that this was transmission fluid...but when I smelled it, it didn't have a foul smell.

It starts right behind the (???) k-member, and goes all the way back to the mufflers.

But like I said, it is spotted, not coated and not soaked, just spotted. And the whoosh has seemed to quiet a little bit after letting it cool for a little while, but it is still very noticeable.

I am going to let it sit overnight and I am going to check the tranny fluid level in the morning. If it's missing any, or even possibly empty, I will report back and let you guys know.

Thanks again for any help in advance.

+1 on the hydroboost

next time you start the car pump the brakes a few times and turn the steering wheel lock to lock and listen for the noise

also check the power steering rack for leaks when you get it up in the air

+1 on the hydroboost

next time you start the car pump the brakes a few times and turn the steering wheel lock to lock and listen for the noise

also check the power steering rack for leaks when you get it up in the air
What is this hydroboost you two speak of? At first, I thought it was a joke, something similar to a "flux capacitor" or "blinker fluid..."

But after some googling, I find that hydroboost comes up with some clean results...but for some reason, it still seems fishy.

Anywho, after checking the tranny fluid in the morning, I will perform the routine that you mentioned. When you say "turn steering wheel lock to lock," do you mean shut off the car and put the key in the lock positon?

I checked the rack & pinion for leaks...nothing. The boots look really good; they aren't even cracking yet.

Anywho, after checking the tranny fluid in the morning, I will perform the routine that you mentioned. When you say "turn steering wheel lock to lock," do you mean shut off the car and put the key in the lock positon?

I checked the rack & pinion for leaks...nothing. The boots look really good; they aren't even cracking yet.

hydroboost uses ATF and since manual trannys usually don't leak, it's the first thing i'd suspect

check the power steering level. start the car and turn the wheel all the way left, then all the way right, lock to lock all while pumping the brakes

check the rack again where the two p/s lines go into it. they have o-rings so thats where i'd look

What is this hydroboost you two speak of? At first, I thought it was a joke, something similar to a "flux capacitor" or "blinker fluid..."

But after some googling, I find that hydroboost comes up with some clean results...but for some reason, it still seems fishy.

It is real:D

Also check your muffler bearings. They make whooshing noises when they seize up..

my tob was making wooshing noises for a few weeks and last monday it whent out completely... barely drove it to the shop... got car back now though with new clutch and tob and everything..
it sounds pretty much exactly what my car was doing.. it was making noises for probably 6 months or so.... but i was able to deal with it... then it started making the howling noises...
i dont think its ps or tranny fluid because he says the sound is affected by the clutch..
when u are standing in one spot, not touching steering wheel or anything, does it howl? try to push the clutch in about half way or a third of the way, does it go away?
really sounds like like tob

my tob was making wooshing noises for a few weeks and last monday it whent out completely... barely drove it to the shop... got car back now though with new clutch and tob and everything..
it sounds pretty much exactly what my car was doing.. it was making noises for probably 6 months or so.... but i was able to deal with it... then it started making the howling noises...
i dont think its ps or tranny fluid because he says the sound is affected by the clutch..
when u are standing in one spot, not touching steering wheel or anything, does it howl? try to push the clutch in about half way or a third of the way, does it go away?
really sounds like like tob

Throw out bearings do not leak fluid. It may be the cause of the noise, but not the leak. His Hydro boost is located next to the firewall on the drivers side. It has a bunch of stainless steel lines comming into and out of it. If it is leaking the fluid, over time it would travel down to the k member and look like a transmission leak. If the hydroboost is low on fluid it also can make a whooshing sound.

Well, right now the car is not making any sound at all. It sounds completely natural.

Before, it was making a slight noise. Then it was making a crazy loud noise. Now it's nothing.

I took it to a tranny shop and they said no tranny leak, no hydroboost leak, and that the stuff I thought was ATF was probably enjoy oil that dripped down the engine when filling it. They also mentioned that my A/C compressor will give VERY soon, and that that could have been the sound. He also said that I have an oil pan gasket leak.

Throw out bearings do not leak fluid. It may be the cause of the noise, but not the leak. His Hydro boost is located next to the firewall on the drivers side. It has a bunch of stainless steel lines comming into and out of it. If it is leaking the fluid, over time it would travel down to the k member and look like a transmission leak. If the hydroboost is low on fluid it also can make a whooshing sound.

yea thats true... and obviously tob dont leak, but he did say that the noise was affected by depression/ use of clutch... wich is very tob related...
the fact that the noise is gone now too, could also be tob related because especially when my tob first started getting loud, for a little while, their would also be time when the sound would go away for a while...
oh well lol, maybe we are both wrong :shrug:
:flag:
good luck though!

yea thats true... and obviously tob dont leak, but he did say that the noise was affected by depression/ use of clutch... wich is very tob related...
the fact that the noise is gone now too, could also be tob related because especially when my tob first started getting loud, for a little while, their would also be time when the sound would go away for a while...
oh well lol, maybe we are both wrong :shrug:
:flag:
good luck though!
Thanks. I think I am going to start looking for a new TOB, Clutch, and Flywheel.

Any suggestions on any of the above?

I have had spec, they sucked. It felt real jerky and made it hard for me to drive. Now I have an ACT Xtreme. Smooth as butter, and holds 720 ft lbs of torque. it costa a bit more than spec, but way worth it in my opinion. If money is an issue just resurface your fly wheel and what ever clutch you buy should come with a new throw out bearing. Good to hear no hydroboost leak....mine leaks and boy are they expensive!!!