Tri-Ax shifter vibration (adv tech help needed)

VinDiesel

Apr 23, 2002
Hi, I have a 94 mustang gt with a T-5 transmission and Steeda Tri-Ax shifter. Whenever going over ~80 mph a loud metal clicking sound comes from underneath my shifter (sounds like putting a baseball card in a bicycle wheel spoke but louder). My friend with the same shifter told me the Tri-Ax has "stop points" unlike a stock shifter which protect the forks in the transmission from bending, but that they can vibrate if not set correctly.

Here is what happened: My transmission died (blue gears) because the rear seal with the yoke broke and leaked all the transmission fluid. The shop replaced with a new rebuilt transmission and within one week and 600 miles the rear seal with the yoke again broke and leaked all the fluid.

My question is this: Does the Steeda Tri-Ax shifter have a common problem of producing vibration and causing the rear seal to rupture and leak transmission fluid? I had the Tri-Ax installed for 3 years with the vibration occurring before this seal broke and it happened again within one week after getting the new transmission. Is the shifter the culprit?

• Sponsors (?)

the shifter should not cause the rear seal to leak. something else is going on. maybe the driveshaft is bent and putting a lot of side load on the seal or the yoke is bad and is cutting the seal. i couldnt imagine a shifter causing the seal to go bad

I've gotta throw this out as a possibility because it happened to me. Over 60 MPH my shifter would rattle like crazy, very bad vibration. So bad it would pop out of gear. But it had nothing to do with my shifter, it was that POS stock driveshaft. It must have been out of balance. A quick swap to the aluminum replacement driveshaft from Steeda solved the problem.

Could this possibly be the cause of your vibration?

eschlenz said:
I've gotta throw this out as a possibility because it happened to me. Over 60 MPH my shifter would rattle like crazy, very bad vibration. So bad it would pop out of gear. But it had nothing to do with my shifter, it was that POS stock driveshaft. It must have been out of balance. A quick swap to the aluminum replacement driveshaft from Steeda solved the problem.

Could this possibly be the cause of your vibration?

Ditto... You could check the u-joints first but the aluminum driveshafts really help smooth things out.