Tribotex initial review

Inneh

Aug 4, 2020
Seattle, WA
So I had to give this stuff a try after I saw it featured on Nasa's site. Nano particulate oil additive that has microscopic wafers with one "sticky" side and one smooth side. Over the course of an oil change, the pieces slowly bond to imperfections inside the engine, claiming to fill scratches, gaps, deterioration... And improve fuel mileage, compression, horsepower, stop some leaks, and send lubrication efficiency through the roof, similar to a Teflon coating.

They say allow 500 miles to see results. I am at 200 so far, and the car is noticeably more eager to respond to the throttle. It literally feels and sounds like an engine half its age. Some chug a lugging that's normal at 200k miles seems to have backed off, the car sounds and feels throatier, and as far as acceleration/throttle response, it now drives with a 250lb passenger the way it felt when I was driving alone.

I am initially impressed. 100 bucks for a treatment that they recommend to repeat after 40 or 50k miles later. I have fuel mileage numbers from about a month ago that I can compare to later on, and I also have an approximate 0-60, although I wish I had done a 30-60 in 3rd beforehand, since that's what I'm going to be using to gage any future mods.

I would recommend for high mileage cars.

• Sponsors (?)

If it helped, I doubt it helped like by that method. Those sound like magic molecules. Tribotex is the actual brand? Nano particulate oil additive gets many Google hits, and most are for “mini ball bearing” friction reducers.

How Slick 50’s PTFE particles adhered to the metal was never proven. I rang up a lot of it, but wondered about what good it really did.

Last edited:
I've never had faith in a mechanic in a can, so do the testing and keep us posted. I still daily mine and miles are getting up there.

Reactions: 1 users
Nanoparticles? NASA allows advertising just as any other website does. Just because you see it on a "NASA site" does not mean that it must by a miracle of science. Sounds like complete BS

Reactions: 1 user
Update at 430 miles since application:
Gas mileage on the last tank jumped from 21.7 to 24.1.
Partial throttle response is greatly improved since the beginning. I doubt wot acceleration has increased but I will check it soon for science.
Oil consumption has reduced slightly. I am usually down 3/4 of a quart at 1000 miles, it was more like 1/2 this last time.
Upon reflection, the throatiness hasn't increased, but other engine "static noise" has decreased making good sounds more noticeable.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Acceleration change is negligible, like I expected, but it was a detail I said I'd include.

At 900 miles, any changes seem to have leveled. Overall most notable benefits are reduced oil consumption and more crisp partial throttle response. Mpg seems a bit better but that's not reliable imo due to different driving habits/roads on different days. Engine certainly seems quieter in the right ways.

Was it worth it? For me, on this car, yes, only because my clock is over 200k miles and could benefit from a bit of internal tlc. I'm going for longevity at this point. Would I put it in ANY car I owned? Probably not, not at that price. It's not like that giant wing that adds 50 whp. But I'm pleased with the results on my specific engine. I would reserve this for older, very neglected cars that I didn't mind shelling out for a miracle (worth 100 bucks to keep it running longer).

I don't work for them, this was just my experience.

Reactions: 1 user
If it helped, I doubt it helped like by that method. Those sound like magic molecules. Tribotex is the actual brand? Nano particulate oil additive gets many Google hits, and most are for “mini ball bearing” friction reducers.

How Slick 50’s PTFE particles adhered to the metal was never proven. I rang up a lot of it, but wondered about what good it really did.
projectfarm on YouTube did a trial of slick50... it was BAD

projectfarm on YouTube did a trial of slick50... it was BAD
Acceleration change is negligible, like I expected, but it was a detail I said I'd include.

At 900 miles, any changes seem to have leveled. Overall most notable benefits are reduced oil consumption and more crisp partial throttle response. Mpg seems a bit better but that's not reliable imo due to different driving habits/roads on different days. Engine certainly seems quieter in the right ways.

Was it worth it? For me, on this car, yes, only because my clock is over 200k miles and could benefit from a bit of internal tlc. I'm going for longevity at this point. Would I put it in ANY car I owned? Probably not, not at that price. It's not like that giant wing that adds 50 whp. But I'm pleased with the results on my specific engine. I would reserve this for older, very neglected cars that I didn't mind shelling out for a miracle (worth 100 bucks to keep it running longer).

I don't work for them, this was just my experience.

Just as I predicted. What a shock

Never said I expected or experienced a miracle, just satisfying curiosity. I'll try just about anything once. Honestly the difference is very similar to the "breathe easy" feeling after a long overdue oil change.

Bucket of bolts, sure. It's a bill, big deal.
Taken care of vehicle? Nah.

Always happy to provide entertainment, nf.
:pop:

Never said I expected or experienced a miracle, just satisfying curiosity. I'll try just about anything once. Honestly the difference is very similar to the "breathe easy" feeling after a long overdue oil change.

Bucket of bolts, sure. It's a bill, big deal.
Taken care of vehicle? Nah.

Always happy to provide entertainment, nf.
:pop:
it basically ran for 10 minutes, then started smoking, lost 40 points of compression and when torn down the Teflon had collected all over the oil galleries inlets and pump and was sludging the progress of oiling and pretty much ruined the all bearings and rings

granted, this was on a lawnmower... but I doubt its going to magically do better in a nice high dollar engine lol