Trying to identify 351w

will3387

Jan 15, 2009
I just picked up a 351 from the local yard and i can figure out why i have numbers missing from the casting number, its F E6015, just would like to know if its roller or non, the guy at the yard couldn't tell me what year truck it was from it was pulled a few years ago.

• Sponsors (?)

If it's an e6015 it's probably an 86 model...

Ford castings go like this:

C-1960's
D-1970's
E-1980's

etc,etc. The number directly after the letter denotes the year of the decade, ie, E6=1986 Look in the lifter valley and see if there are threaded holes down the center for the spider that holds the roller lifter retainers...don't think 86 had them.:shrug:

If this sound inaccurate, somebody please correct me!

If it's missing numbers, I think the full casting number should be f4 e-6015-aa-12 which is a 1994+ roller block 351.

However, that is an assumption. Is the lifter valley tapped in the center for a lifter hold-down plate

Well i have got a pic now that i got the intake pulled, according to what i have read and researched to my assumption please correct me if i am wrong, but what i have would be a roller. But what makes me wonder is i just received a call from the guy at the yard and he has told me that he found out that it was from a 92 f250 could he be wrong. Please steer me in the right direction here.

Attachments

• 351.jpg
    351.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,752
There seems to be some confusion on the exact year Ford started putting roller cams in 351s. The majority of what I hear is '94, but I have also heard as early as '92, soo...

Could also be that it wasn't the original engine that came in the '92, but a replacement of some sort. :shrug:

I've heard that too...but I've heard 1992-1993 were "roller-ready" but don't necessarily contain a roller cam.

If the op could make out what number is after the "F" it would help out