Tune for Ford Racing Hot Rod Cam

I already have a JLT cold air intake with the SCT handheld programmer. I want to install the hot rod cams with steeda under drive pulleys. Would it be harmful to my engine if I loaded a custom tune from my handheld tuner until I can afford to get a chassis tune?

• Sponsors (?)

I already have a JLT cold air intake with the SCT handheld programmer. I want to install the hot rod cams with steeda under drive pulleys. Would it be harmful to my engine if I loaded a custom tune from my handheld tuner until I can afford to get a chassis tune?

I don't think that you understand the question that you're asking.

Would a custom tune be harmful to your engine? That COMPLETELY depends on whether or not that tune is suitable for your engine. If it's wrong, it'll run like crap. If it's wrong enough, you'll be forking over the cash for a new motor or selling then entire car as a roller (your insurance company isn't going to cover it and Ford will tell you to go pound sand).

If the tune is the CORRECT tune for your build and combo well... that's what they're for.

So... if you don't know what you're doing, don't screw with it. If you just want to experiment and have all the fat cash in the world to replace motors then press on with pride.

Tunes match the air, fuel, and spark to the engine combo.... Not the other way around.

Without a wide band o2 sensor, you're pretty much pissing in the wind when it comes to tuning a vehicle. Pullies wont require any tuning differences but if you want pull anything beneficial from a cam swap it is going to require exhaust, intake, and tuning to make it worthwhile.