Tune up needed? How far to go???

Romeo46LV8

Founding Member
Mar 24, 2000
Philadelphia (suburbs), PA
By spring my '01 GT is going to have around 40,000 miles on her. I am thinking it is time to change out a few things partly for good maintenance, partly for paranoia, partly because it may need to be done.

Here is what I am thinking of having done:
-New plugs (which ones?)
-New rear tires (killed the nittos in only 12 months :))
-Flush and refill radiator
-Flush and refill tranny
-Flush and refill rear
-Flush and refill braking system
-New brakes (larger rotors, new brake pads; probably Bullitt upgrade)
-New fuel filter
-Of course oil, filter change
-Thoroughly clean K&N

What should I add? What could I delete? Which brand parts/specifics should I get for each? (Oil and filter is Amsoil, but otherwise I'm stumped).

Ideas needed!

• Sponsors (?)

If you're really going to do all that, I would get a PCV valve (cause they're so cheap), use a 180° thermostat, don't forget dialectric grease and anti-seize for your spark plugs (recommend NGK TR-55, Autolite 764, any stock heat range copper plug).

I also would skip on the brake upgrade, get SS lines, change your pads, bleed the system. Install linelock with the money you save from not upgrading brakes.

On brand recommendations, changing tranny fluid is also on my list, but I have Mobil 1 Full Synthetic ATF for it. For brake fluid, any DOT-4 should be fine. For the Fuel filter I used a Fram, but would use whatever was cheapest. Coolant, use the green stuff. With tires, I also wore through my DRs pretty quick and use the normal 555 street tires. I like them a lot and they were only about $105.00 a piece.

Hope that helps.