Turbo Help

Anti_Hero0932

Jan 29, 2012
LaGrange, MO
Hey guys. im getting ready to put my small block together. its pretty well stock besides a small cam. ported iron heads and gt40 intake. has head studs and a main girdle. what size turbo are you guys running on this size engine? i dont want to use the on3 70mm to awful bad. thinking about ordering something from VS racing just didnt know what size.

car will have 60lb injetors and a 340lph pump.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

you can go bigger on the pump but the fuel will get hot. some think this is a moot point. your stock block and internals will give up before you run out of pump. around 12psi is about as far as you want to push it.

I'm no turbo expert but from what I've seen you don't want bigger than 70mm for your setup. Any bigger and you'll lag big time. If I'm reading your combo correctly, you have a 302 engine, ported E7 heads, and an explorer intake, right?

Reactions: 1 user
I have the on3 turbo 8in my car. No issues with it. O did have to buy a oil restrictor for it. My oil pressure starts off at about 90psi.

yes sir pretty well factory besides e cam gt 40 intake. hogged out e7's and the usual little things like 75mm tb and egr delete.

most my friends have cammed ls cars i think it would be pretty funny to go out with a stock headed fox and hurt some feelings. i just sold a cammed z28 that made 368 rwhp and it was pretty fun. this fox is lighter and has the potential for more horse and a lot more tq

heres a pic of the car.

i had an 86 lx car before this and a 91 coupe as well.

Attachments

• fox1.jpg
    fox1.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 120
I bought an 82 for my one lady.... it had first issues in the roof. It's in a new home with someone else.

The on3 kits have come a long way. I'm happy with the turbo I have but would love a turbonetics or precision turbo.

The 76mm on3 turbo upgrade is decent. My engine is far from stock though.

Oil changes and proper timing is the key to the life of a turbo.

ill just roll with the stock turbo then for a while. its only a 230 dollar deduct if you take it off the order.

other than that the 60 lb injectors should be fine right? im just gonna have someone dyno tune my car with a chip burner

ill just roll with the stock turbo then for a while. its only a 230 dollar deduct if you take it off the order.

other than that the 60 lb injectors should be fine right? im just gonna have someone dyno tune my car with a chip burner
I'm also running the On3 kit and as @a91what can attest to, the 60lb injectors were too much for my 306 GT40x combo. The issue with them was the minimum pulse width not being small enough to allow the engine to idle without surging terribly.

I just went with the On3 "recommendation" and wish I had done more research first. I'm now running Ford 47lb injectors and they are perfect for my combo.

I freakin LOVE the car with the turbo though man, you definitely won't regret it. Though you might want to consider a tune-able ECU so you're not at the mercy of a dyno shop... Just my 2c anyway

I run 42lb injectors... they seem to do well. I run 43lbs fuel pressure.

I couldn't imagine getting my car running right without mspnp2. The Stinger Pimp or ms3 are the best right now. The chip tunes are still relying on a 25+ year old ECU.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
yeah i just heard from the guy i want to tune my car he recomends the ms3.... i dont really have the 900 to spend at the moment.... we will see what happens i still have a lot of work ahead of me before i need to worry about that i guess. he said he likes it cause you dont have to use a MAF.

yes sir pretty well factory besides e cam gt 40 intake. hogged out e7's and the usual little things like 75mm tb and egr delete.

most my friends have cammed ls cars i think it would be pretty funny to go out with a stock headed fox and hurt some feelings. i just sold a cammed z28 that made 368 rwhp and it was pretty fun. this fox is lighter and has the potential for more horse and a lot more tq
You'll do well with that combo. I have a stock 302, stock untouched E7's, explorer lower intake, all being fed 11psi via Kenne Bell supercharger. My car moves pretty well.

yeah i just heard from the guy i want to tune my car he recomends the ms3.... i dont really have the 900 to spend at the moment.... we will see what happens i still have a lot of work ahead of me before i need to worry about that i guess. he said he likes it cause you dont have to use a MAF.
It's speed density based, you can choose to run a MAF or toss it if you want. I run a Stinger Pimp ECU and I've never tuned before. I received great help from this forum in regards to SAFE tuning. Look for the MegaSquirt self tuning threads.