turbonetics t66 compressor/turbine housing?

ryan7662

Sep 15, 2007
Already got a pro turbo kit and am gonna run it on a stock 351w for now. I want to get a single t66 ball bearing turbo and eventually get a second one in two years and adapt my single turbo kit into a compound setup. At that point I'll have a dart iron eagle block and a forged rotating assembly. Until than I just want a fast spooling turbo that I can compound with a identical second turbo to make 1200hp+. I'll probably only want 4-450hp for now cause i think thats all the stock 351w block/rotating assembly can handle.

I think the turbonetics t66 ball bearing turbo looks like a good choice for a future compound setup. First I was wondering if I should get the p or s trim style turbine wheel. And should I get the turbine wheel in the 62, 65, or 68mm diameter. Also which ar housing should I go with. My options are .58, .69, .70, .81, .96 and should I get the tangential housing? I'm just not sure what the best setup is to work for now but also work with a second turbo when I compound it with another identical turbo to make 1200hp+.

I should get the water cooled version too right? Also which wastegate would be the best choice. I need to be able to restrict the boost output to keep her under 450 so the stock 351 dosen't blow up. I'll be using a cheap manual wastegate controller. It'll have a water cooled aftercooler with a meziere pump. I'll have 20gallon tank in the trunk to hold the ice and coolant. This is going in a 84 mustang lx hatchback and emissions is no concern cause the car no longer has to pass emission standards in my area.

Do I have to still use antifreeze for the aftercooler coolant if I use this additive and if so at what ratio to the water?
Design Engineering DEI 040208 - DEI Chill Charger Intercooler Additive - Overview - SummitRacing.com

On one last note what psi should I run to keep her at 450 and under. 351w was just rebuilt bored .030 over with dished hyp. aluminum pistons. GT40p heads for now and a edlebrock jr. victor converted to efi. Thanks guys any help would be greatly appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

Do some more research, the 66mm turbo is to small for the 351. Wish I could help more but look into it more and decide what turbo is really best.

Yeah thats what I'm hearing now. Think I'll go with a t76 and when I get the a dart iron eagle I'll get a second t76 and compound em. I'll go with a 383 or a 408 crank when I get the dart block too so I think twin t76's might be the right fit. I'm also thinking a .81 ar would be good. Thanks man

Yep now your on the right track. 76 will be good. .81 or .96 will work well also, not a twin's guy but I would think your going to have to get a different exhaust housing when you go dart for a smaller a/r. Are you stuck on turbonetics? They have some quality turbos but there are a few other companies out there that are as good if not slightly better. Twin 76's are gonna make big power btw...:D

I ran a single Turbonetics 61mm .96ar that came with my hellion heat kit. It was on a stock 302 explorer bottom end with TFS heads TFS intake an F cam 42# injectors and a 255 intank. At 7#s of boost the car made 498hp and 560# torque at the rear wheels. The little turbo would have made more power easy, but I needed more fuel. I had it tuned at MurrilloMotorssports and he said I had basically maxed out my injectors and fuel pump. Plus it was a stock bottom end so.... I ran on it for a while, but the hyperutectics didn't put up with it for long. I had not planned on it making that much power with such a small amount of boost. Also it made that power at 4600rpm! I have seen set ups close to mine with 70mm turbos which make a higher hp# but not much more torque so? I just thought I would share that info. With yours being a 351 I am not sure how much bigger of a turbo you would need. But don't be suprised if you make more than your stock bottom end can handle even with a small turbo on low boost. It all depends on h/c/i combo.