Fuel Injector size too big?

roldy

Jul 22, 2020
Missouri
I recently purchased 80 lb injectors for my 351W NA. I plan on getting a programmable ECU. The engine is rated at 575 HP. I'm second guessing myself now. Should I have bought smaller injectors, something around 60 lbs? This is not a daily driver, just a cruiser and sometimes strip car. The reason why I went with 80 lbs was because I'm planning for the future when I install a twin turbo setup.

• Sponsors (?)

N/A 351W with a hydraulic cam could probably run on 36 lb injectors. :shrug: Maybe even 24. :O_o:

With the right driver and EEC, it doesn't really matter though. You can tune fine with those. You'll just have more room to grow. Boost is next. :D

I dunno what "rated for" means. My block and rotating assembly are "rated for" 1100 HP. It'll never see that though. :nonono:

Reactions: 1 user
N/A 351W with a hydraulic cam could probably run on 36 lb injectors. :shrug: Maybe even 24. :O_o:

With the right driver and EEC, it doesn't really matter though. You can tune fine with those. You'll just have more room to grow. Boost is next. :D

I dunno what "rated for" means. My block and rotating assembly are "rated for" 1100 HP. It'll never see that though. "
"Rated" was the wrong terminology. 575 HP is the advertised HP that the crate produces as is. I bought it from Ford Racing. A follow up question that I have is what would a reputable brand be for an EEC?

"Rated" was the wrong terminology. 575 HP is the advertised HP that the crate produces as is. I bought it from Ford Racing. A follow up question that I have is what would a reputable brand be for an EEC?
I will refer you to the expert in such things: @a91what can better tell you how to do it efficiently so you don't have to spend money twice.

He'll get a "ping" when he logs on next.

I often run 80lb injectors in 302 based engines. Much larger 210 injectors on e85 cars and even turbo 4cyl..

I personally run Ford Racing LU80 on my twin turbo 393w. You will be fine.
As for the ecu it's really up to you options out there are huge. I have helped guys make 1000+ with a $350 micro squirt. What kind of budget do you have?

I think you should have clarified that you purchased a 351 "based" engine, i took a quick look at ford racing's site, what you really purchased appears to be a 460 with Z heads.
Quite a bit more engine than your average 351.

I often run 80lb injectors in 302 based engines. Much larger 210 injectors on e85 cars and even turbo 4cyl..

I personally run Ford Racing LU80 on my twin turbo 393w. You will be fine.
As for the ecu it's really up to you options out there are huge. I have helped guys make 1000+ with a $350 micro squirt. What kind of budget do you have?
I don't know too much about ECU's or what would be a good price for a reliable ECU. I would say $500 max.

Get a Holley terminator kit don’t go cheap they are the easiest to tune and get max power. If they are deka injectors you’ll be fine and not need to replace them until your over 550hp

Reactions: 1 user
I'm running Ford 30lb 4 hole injectors in my slightly stock 302 F150. Only big engine mod is a small cam giving me 10% more torque and I switched to MAF. The computer will only send what the engine is calling for.

Easiest to tune is very subjective. What I think is easy you may find difficult ect.
The Holley is the most adjustable system you can get and not to mention can be done remotely. You pay for $5-600 for a quarter horse or squirter and you still have all your 30 year old ecm and wires running through out the engine bay. For $1000 you get a plug and play system that will never need to be replaced again.