Twin Superchargers?

Lyncher

Jun 14, 2005
Maybe this belongs in talk...not sure though :shrug: . But why is it that there are no twin supercharger set ups? I believe that some of the dragsters run twin superchargers so how come nobody has them on their cars? Will it even work? Idk it was just an idea and I started to wonder about it. Thanks :D

• Sponsors (?)

I dont plan on doing it and have no desire to. And you could probably fit 2 superchargers...if you can fit 2 big turbos I would think u could fit 2 super chargers...but i could be wrong. And why is it pointless? :shrug: I think its the same type concept as TT but they are superchargers. My thinking is probably flawed somewhere but idk lol :cheers:

Turbochargers are "powered" by exhaust gas and thus its easier to find room for them considering you can move them all around in your engine bay.

Since superchargers need to be powered by your serpentine belt, it'd be pretty difficult to find enough space for them in that limited area. Routing the piping would also be a nightmare. Simply put, it's just easier to have one and if you need more boost, upgrade the pulley or move up to a bigger S/C.

Andres2882 said:
Turbochargers are "powered" by exhaust gas and thus its easier to find room for them considering you can move them all around in your engine bay.

Since superchargers need to be powered by your serpentine belt, it'd be pretty difficult to find enough space for them in that limited area. Routing the piping would also be a nightmare. Simply put, it's just easier to have one and if you need more boost, upgrade the pulley or move up to a bigger S/C.

Ok so I understand that it isnt practicle...but can it be done? What if you had 2 supercargers with the smallest possible pulleys....wouldnt you be able to have twice the boost? I know there are more logical options I am just wondering if it can be done :shrug: :nice:

A few people have been there and done that.....but it didn't work as well as planned. Don't get me wrong, it made power, but it was more of a gimmic than anything.

imageGON.JPG
paxlnk.jpg

pax4.jpg
pax1.jpg
Records32.gif

Two superchargers add twice the drag on the motor. For simplicity, you may see 100hp gain with one supercharger. However, you may only see a 150hp gain when using two superchargers. It it MUCH more efficient to use twin turbos.
I've read somewhere at full boost, a supercharger robs almost 100hp from the engine just to pressurize the air. However, the same turbo setup only uses 10hp, thus, explaining why a Turbo can make much more HP with the same boost level over a supercharger.

:cheers:

Shadrack said:
Two superchargers add twice the drag on the motor. For simplicity, you may see 100hp gain with one supercharger. However, you may only see a 150hp gain when using two superchargers. It it MUCH more efficient to use twin turbos.
I've read somewhere at full boost, a supercharger robs almost 100hp from the engine just to pressurize the air. However, the same turbo setup only uses 10hp, thus, explaining why a Turbo can make much more HP with the same boost level over a supercharger.

:cheers:

that I knew...and is precisely why im going turbo with my 347 build :D I can see what your saying about the two superchargers :cheers:

Shadrack said:
100hp is excessive. My Eaton eats up probably in the 30-35hp range at maximum blower RPM. Still not as efficient as a turbo, but not nearly as inefficient as originally stated.

Gearbanger 101 said:
100hp is excessive. My Eaton eats up probably in the 30-35hp range at maximum blower RPM. Still not as efficient as a turbo, but not nearly as inefficient as originally stated.

I was kinda wondering about that 2...cause if he were right then wouldnt most of those sc trimmed 347s and such (the ones that only gain like 70hp from the motor) wouldnt it actually be a negative effect if that were true...w/e that was kind of off topic :D

Lyncher thats a cool idea but this is what will happen.

Say you have two vortechs each pushing 9 psi. Together they will still produce 9 psi of boost BUT they will produce twice the volume. Becuase boost fills the cylinders of a 302 so fast (its a small V8) i dont see the need for 2. On the other hand a 460 BBF could make use of 2 because of the very large displacement. Getting that 9 psi will take half the time with two superchargers than one.

Than again we have much larger superchargers for the 460 to fill its displacement with boost.

So in effect we need not 2 superchargers, but only one correctly sized one for the engine. :nice:

Dbeck002 said:
Lyncher thats a cool idea but this is what will happen.

Say you have two vortechs each pushing 9 psi. Together they will still produce 9 psi of boost BUT they will produce twice the volume. Becuase boost fills the cylinders of a 302 so fast (its a small V8) i dont see the need for 2. On the other hand a 460 BBF could make use of 2 because of the very large displacement. Getting that 9 psi will take half the time with two superchargers than one.

Than again we have much larger superchargers for the 460 to fill its displacement with boost.

So in effect we need not 2 superchargers, but only one correctly sized one for the engine. :nice:

Ok that explained it...thanks alot! :nice:

I was just using a random number really, and yes it is a bit excessive.

40 hp would seem like a more reasonable number to use, probably a little less if it is ported, even less if it is a roots type blower (Kenne Bell, etc.).

Still, Turbo's rule all. :D