Unable to read ABS Light Error

SGray14

Feb 20, 2008
Michigan
I have a 99 GT with ABS and traction control. The ABS light has been one since I bought the car three years ago. Starting to bug me so I took it to have the code read. Well after two places no one can read the error.
Does anyone have a clue as why the code reader will not pickup the error code?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The one shop had a $4,000 machine. All they do are brakes. I thought it was funny they could not read it. They did suggest the Ford dealer. Trying to stay away from that beacuse of the cost.

A diagnostic charge shouldn't be too bad - cheaper than just throwing parts randomly at it. Once you've got the code, you can decide if you want to fix it yourself, let Ford or someone else fix it, or, ignore it.

In the meantime, you can check fuses and inspect the wheel sensors and make sure they're not obviously damaged. You're not running staggered tire sizes are you?

All the same tire sizes. I have done everything I can do over the past three years. Checked fuses, wires, wheel senors, brake lights and I checked every forum I could find. The problem is I can't get the code. I was just trying to avoid the dealer. I know it will be around $85 for just the reason the light is on. So I am looking to see if anybody else had the same problem of not being able to get the code.

There's a way to test your ABS control module but I can't cut and paste it and I'm too lazy to type it all in. But you should check that to see if it's the ABS control module or your instrument cluster.

i work at a ford dealership and i have had the same problem with my 99 gt for the last 6 months my tech has hooked it up twice and can not get a code error he told me when he gets time he will just have to llok at every part its crazy he said its like the abs system wont comunicate with te ids system wich is what ford techs use to check codes

i work at a ford dealership and i have had the same problem with my 99 gt for the last 6 months my tech has hooked it up twice and can not get a code error he told me when he gets time he will just have to llok at every part its crazy he said its like the abs system wont comunicate with te ids system wich is what ford techs use to check codes

Check Fuse #29 first.

Then you/he needs to do an ABS control module check... if it's not communicating it may be a bad module. There is a pin to check for 10v. Terminal 8 (Light Blue/Pink wire) and ground. If less than 10v, replace 15a fuse in #29 in instrument fuse panel.

If voltage is fine, test terminal 15 (black/white wire) and terminal 12 (black wire) for resistance. If less than 5 ohms, replace ABS control module. If more than 5 ohms repair (above stated) wires to ground.

(Information from ShopKey for '99 Mustang GT)