Under Hood Light, Round Peg……Square Hole

When I got the car back from the painter last year I noticed the under hood light was loose and hanging by the power wire that ran under the insulation pad. Decided to address the issue last month and found the push pin part was broken off. Ordered a replacement switch and swapped it for the old part. Well……lo and behold the hood has a rectangular hole (yes, wasn’t paying attention originally) where the push pin would insert. Checked some factory style replacement hoods for the ‘89 and they have the same rectangular hole. Was there some insert that was provided in the factory arrangement that accepts the push pin part of the swich?

• Sponsors (?)

There's an 87-88 hood light, and a 89-93 hood light. I am assuming you have the correct 89+ light on an 89+ hood.

Reason i ask is because the 87-88 light mounts in a square hole.

87-88 style bulb

Here's how the 89+ light mounts but unfortunately I can't take a pic of what's under the light itself. Maybe someone else can chime in

Reactions: 1 user
16770889830542106473392.jpg

Hood on the Junk Pyle (89GT) was swapped, part # on light is E8AB and has a funny push pin and clip on the light body so round hole and a slotted hole. I'll look at another hood here in a few.
Both the other hoods are the same, also uses the flat blade bulb not round.

Last edited:
Well, I now know what's happened. The hood was swapped out by the body shop that painted the car and they used the earlier hood. The correct hood had some rust and they didn't want to use it. There is a lot of misinformation online regarding these switches and hoods, i.e. same switch/harness I have fitting 87-93 cars, hoods that are correct for 87-93 cars that have the square hole (maybe the photo was just "generally"representative). Anyway, much thanks for the
help Mustang 5L5 and General karthief! Looks like I have another project added to my list.