Unusual Exhaust Question

llcwhit1

Feb 3, 2018
My son bought a set of Borla Atak axle backs for his 2013 V6 Mustang, and literally was hit and car totaled before he could put them on. We ended up getting a 2017 v6 to replace it. My question is this- other than the cutting and welding that would need to be done to connect the mufflers to the 2017- shouldn’t they essentially be the same muffler, as they are still for the same engine!? Please explain why this will or won’t work!? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The exhaust is different because the S550 has an independent rear suspension and the S197 had a live axle. The exhaust takes a different route to the back of the car. The new car's exhaust goes under the differential and the old car's went over the axle. They are very much different.

My son bought a set of Borla Atak axle backs for his 2013 V6 Mustang, and literally was hit and car totaled before he could put them on. We ended up getting a 2017 v6 to replace it. My question is this- other than the cutting and welding that would need to be done to connect the mufflers to the 2017- shouldn’t they essentially be the same muffler, as they are still for the same engine!? Please explain why this will or won’t work!? Thanks!

Inlet and outlet size is the same (2.25") and the muffler case size is very similar, though not exact. Pipe offset is very similar if not the same. You would have to use just the mufflers and re-weld everything (piping, mounting tabs, tips). Not worth it IMO.