using the 4.6L for next restmod project

BlueMonster65

Founding Member
Feb 24, 2001
Connecticut
i plan on using a 4.6L sohc with a centrifugal supercharger in my next project 1965 restomod mustang and i have a few basic questions regarding the 4.6L SOHC engines.
1. are the PI heads and intake or bullet intake compatiple with the 4.6L truck block. the reason i ask is supposedly the truck block is stronger and has a full floating psiton pin vs. the cars pressed pin design.
2. are all passenger car 4.6L engines basically the same with just different camshafts. i.e. a crown victoria 4.6L from 1999 vs. a mustang 4.6L from 1999
3. are there any good aftermarket cams, long or short tube headers, and intakes (preferably aluminum) that anyone can recommend from there own experience.
4. is the 4.6L capable of being bored .030 over. i believe this would give a displacement of 289ci. which would be quite nice for a 65 restomod.

any help or direction would be appreciated

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

BlueMonster65 said:
1. are the PI heads and intake or bullet intake compatiple with the 4.6L truck block. the reason i ask is supposedly the truck block is stronger and has a full floating psiton pin vs. the cars pressed pin design.

yes, the F-150 uses the same heads as the Mustang GT's. the truck block probably is a little stronger, but both are capable of holding well over 600rwhp.

BlueMonster65 said:
2. are all passenger car 4.6L engines basically the same with just different camshafts. i.e. a crown victoria 4.6L from 1999 vs. a mustang 4.6L from 1999

all the PI heads come with the same camshafts.

BlueMonster65 said:
3. are there any good aftermarket cams, long or short tube headers, and intakes (preferably aluminum) that anyone can recommend from there own experience.

cams: Comp Cams and VT Engines.
headers: BBK, Hooker, Edlebrock, MAC, JBA - the JBA are shorties and i have them. no complaints.
intakes: Bullit, Reichard Racing V2.0, Fox Lake P51.

BlueMonster65 said:
4. is the 4.6L capable of being bored .030 over. i believe this would give a displacement of 289ci. which would be quite nice for a 65 restomod.

.030 is the limit the block can be bored, so most everyone bores them .020 over which is 283ci. you can get a stroker kit to make it 302ci.

i was thinking of doing a restomod as well. i asked what would happen to my insurance if i put on a 96-98 cobra and it would cost around $850 a year. does anyone know if a DOHC 4.6 would fit in a 67 mustang engine bay without slaughtering the shock towers? i know the shelbys had the 428CI that year and if im correct the dohc 4.6 has similar outside dimensions.

bdcardinal said:
i was thinking of doing a restomod as well. i asked what would happen to my insurance if i put on a 96-98 cobra and it would cost around $850 a year. does anyone know if a DOHC 4.6 would fit in a 67 mustang engine bay without slaughtering the shock towers? i know the shelbys had the 428CI that year and if im correct the dohc 4.6 has similar outside dimensions.

well the 4.6 is about as wide as a 460..and I've worked on FE block 67/68...my bet would be you'll be cutting the heck out of the shock towers to get an SOHC in...(but changing the plugs would be easier than on the FE :D)

true i wouldnt have to lift the motor to do the plugs. but if i do it i want to use a DOHC. according to Sean Hyland the best block for a buildup is the teksid aluminum block found in the 96-98 cobras and the 93+ lincoln mrk 8s. when i went to the junkyard to pickup a 351W for another project they had a mrk 8 motor with harness and computer with 20k miles on it for $1200.

good!

thanks for all the great info, i was begining to think i was going to get in over my head...again. bdcardinal, i believe the dohc will require modification to the shock towers on the 67, but i think the sohc will fit. personally i was planning on removing the shock towers all together and going with the hiedts M2 front suspension. that way i'll have a giant cavern to stuff the largest motor possible....might have to consider a 5.4 dohc. if it was a better breather on the top end i would do it. Thanks again.

My son and I are finishing up his 70 Fastback restomod Mustang now. We put a DOHC in with a Rod and Custom Motorsport rack an pinion. We toyed with the idea of notching the shock towers to make room but decided to cut them out completely. Even with the shock towers out it is a snug fit for a DOHC. If you go to the Modularfords.com forum and look under modular conversions and check the thread (fired up sons mustang with 4.6) there is a pic of the engine compartment after we installed the engine. Can send other pics if needed.