Forced Induction V3 Sci kit

stang8384

Jan 18, 2017
NY
Hello

I’m looking to purchase a vortech V3 kit for my 89 gt. Motor is stock with 70mm throttle body,shorty headers and high flow h pipe. I have some questions for you guys as i keep reading a bunch of different things. PS, I’m not looking for crazy power gains but something to make it more fun to drive.

With the 5-6 psi kit, will I need any fuel upgrades with the slight modifications that I have on my car? If so, what do you recommend? Do I need bigger fuel pump/injectors/maf? Or since it’s a “complete bolt on” kit, stock fuel system should suffice?

Is it beneficial to add the 8 rib pulley kit to the 5-6 psi kit? I read that it helps with belt slippage.

If I decide to go with the 7-9 psi kit, will it be safe for my stock motor or is that too much boost?

And what is the typical install time for these kits?

Thanks

Scott

• Sponsors (?)

Could you do it with stock fuel system/pump …. well you could using an fmu etc., but definitely not the best/safest way.
I would :
Upgrade fuel pump to 255lph
Upgrade injectors to 42lb.
Upgrade maf to match injectors.
If you're not into diy tuning than have a chip burned to install in j3 port of ecm, I would suggest Moates with base tune for your set-up.
Boost is addictive be careful...….been there.

Hello

I’m looking to purchase a vortech V3 kit for my 89 gt. Motor is stock with 70mm throttle body,shorty headers and high flow h pipe. I have some questions for you guys as i keep reading a bunch of different things. PS, I’m not looking for crazy power gains but something to make it more fun to drive.

With the 5-6 psi kit, will I need any fuel upgrades with the slight modifications that I have on my car? If so, what do you recommend? Do I need bigger fuel pump/injectors/maf? Or since it’s a “complete bolt on” kit, stock fuel system should suffice?

Is it beneficial to add the 8 rib pulley kit to the 5-6 psi kit? I read that it helps with belt slippage.

If I decide to go with the 7-9 psi kit, will it be safe for my stock motor or is that too much boost?

And what is the typical install time for these kits?

Thanks

Scott
The 5-6 psi kit is entry...meaning you do not get the fuel pump, ignition box, and “bypass valve”

Yes, you can run the kit.

Will you have problems ? That is based on the health of your components. In the 90s, early 2000s sure the fmu would be able to push the duty cycle of the injector up to compensate for the boost. Now three main components are being pushed past optimization: your stock tired fuel pump, probably dirty stock injectors, and fuel pressure regulator.....if all is well no qualms. If not, oops

Next up “ bypass valve” not to be confused with blow off valve. Bypass valve is more of a recirculating function to recycle the excess boost when your throttle body closes. Blow off releases to the atmosphere which since this is a draw through setup would not be an ideal thing.

Even if you do get just the base kit. I would recommend buying a bypass valve (cheap on ebay). If not your engine has to try to absorb that excess boost when you let off the throttle...opposed sipping it. Think drinking from a firehose and shutting your mouth vs a rotating sprinkle head water hitting your mouth.

The ignition is fineish for the entry kit, but if go up in boost definitely should look into it.

The 6 rib to 8 rib. The paxton entry level is 8 rib but atm the vortech is cheaper

Yes you can run either kit, but look into getting a boost gauge, a wideband O2 sensor, and UPR powerpipe and to add the bypass valve.

Aww just do it like we did before internet and forums. Bolt that kit on and make your maiden voyage. Wear some comfy shoes just in case. :D

Reactions: 1 user