V6 gears and other Mods

They where some rangers and Explorer, but I don't think as much to find parts that easy. Plus here they will sell a used rear end for about $400-$500.

Also know I will never do an engine swap since its almost Impossible to find a V8 from a mustang Gt. There are a lot of 302 in junkyards but with a carburetor lol.
They Run about $50-$100 here for a pull out gear and differential, $150ish for the whole axle Assembly, idk if you have friends or family in the states but would be cheaper to source the parts that way. There also plentiful at most junkyards since no one really bothers with the 7.5 ford rear end and you can find both those gear ratios and a 7.5" Trac lok from production cars / trucks.

• Sponsors (?)

They Run about $50-$100 here for a pull out gear and differential, $150ish for the whole axle Assembly, idk if you have friends or family in the states but would be cheaper to source the parts that way. There also plentiful at most junkyards since no one really bothers with the 7.5 ford rear end and you can find both those gear ratios and a 7.5" Trac lok from production cars / trucks.

I buy most of the parts in the US but has to be things not too big and not too heavy. The shipping cost is about $4 per pound. For an entire rear end it would be too high.

A New ring and pinion would be my best bet here since it costs like $150 and about $50 for shipping, the labor here is very cheap and a good shop would do the swap for about $80-$100.

Reactions: 1 user
I buy most of the parts in the US but has to be things not too big and not too heavy. The shipping cost is about $4 per pound. For an entire rear end it would be too high.

A New ring and pinion would be my best bet here since it costs like $150 and about $50 for shipping, the labor here is very cheap and a good shop would do the swap for about $80-$100.
Right, its not the gears or complete axle assembly where you would be saving a lot of money its the used ford 7.5 traction lock differential. Some 7.5 rears had a traction lock and 3.73 or 4:10 gears factory so it would cost you around say 220 shipped for a used pull out removed from the housing, with the gears vs 200 for new gears and an extra 300 and up, plus shipping for a new differential.

Right, its not the gears or complete axle assembly where you would be saving a lot of money its the used ford 7.5 traction lock differential. Some 7.5 rears had a traction lock and 3.73 or 4:10 gears factory so it would cost you around say 220 shipped for a used pull out removed from the housing, with the gears vs 200 for new gears and an extra 300 and up, plus shipping for a new differential.
I see your point, but I don't have access to a junkyard in the US, everything I buy has to be on a website, unless there is someone in the forum that has one of these for sale I would have to settle with just the gears. At the end I don't know if a t lock will make a hughe difference on a V6.

Just wanted to add....the shift kit controls shift point rpm. That depends on the power band of your car. For performance racing you want to keep the car in its power band at all times. If your camshaft peaks at 6000 rpm...but your trans shifts at 2500 it would be a complete dog. The torque converter also matters for performance.

Just wanted to add....the shift kit controls shift point rpm. That depends on the power band of your car. For performance racing you want to keep the car in its power band at all times. If your camshaft peaks at 6000 rpm...but your trans shifts at 2500 it would be a complete dog. The torque converter also matters for performance.
I'm not looking for racing, just want the car to be more fun to drive, but now that you mention about shifting, would gears affect the way the Trans shift?

A shift kit is definitely in the future, but right now my budget is only for gears.

A full shift kit will affect how it shifts. It's kind of complicated to give a full explanation. The more pressure the valve body sees, usually, the firmer the shift gets. When pressure is low a transmission will slip or hesitate between gears. The torque converter is also very important. On the v6 and v8 auto cars in 94 and 95 the torque converter would shudder around 40 - 45mph ( around 72 kilometers per hour. The torque converter spins the front pump to pressurize the fluid. During shifts the pressure accumulator allows that pressure to go to the valvebody and to the proper hydraulic shift circuit. The shift quality and timing is based on a few things.

Basically, a shift kit makes it shift firmer and can allow for different valvebody configuration. The torque converter sets the stall speed. All these mods all put added stress on the internals.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok I have another question.

I have a ser of two flowmaster Fx with 2.25" inlet and outlet, the thing is I can't find here 2.25 pipes, they only sell 2" and 2.5"

The question is: should I put 2.5 pipes an then make a reductiom on the mufflers to fit the 2.25 inlet or keep the stock 2" and make an extension?

My experience with the black 23 tooth speedo gear is they wore out in about a year. Unlike a manual trans, the driven gear in the trans is not easy to change. The reason is to get 23 teeth on the gear they end up very thin and they just fatigue and break off.

I have since swapped to a T5 and 7 tooth trans gear, so I only need to use a 21 tooth gear now with my 3.73s.

My experience with the black 23 tooth speedo gear is they wore out in about a year. Unlike a manual trans, the driven gear in the trans is not easy to change. The reason is to get 23 teeth on the gear they end up very thin and they just fatigue and break off.

I have since swapped to a T5 and 7 tooth trans gear, so I only need to use a 21 tooth gear now with my 3.73s.
Electronic radio adapters are also an option.

I see your point, but I don't have access to a junkyard in the US, everything I buy has to be on a website, unless there is someone in the forum that has one of these for sale I would have to settle with just the gears. At the end I don't know if a t lock will make a hughe difference on a V6.
Do you drive on dry pavement most of the time?
Or does it rain or snow? Are there dirt and gravel roads you have to drive regularly? I think almost every RWD vehicle should have a limited slip diff.
Even with a 4 cyl, twice the traction is better than a one wheel slipping situation.