Versailles rear a bolt-in for a '65?

180 Out

Jul 23, 2005
From a Craigslist ad:

"1975-1979 Lincoln Versailles were based on the Ford Granada, which, in turn, bolt directly into Mustangs. This means that the rear leaf spacing is identical on these cars."

Is this true, for a '65?

• Sponsors (?)

Direct bolt in for a 65 for sure.

Like 68R posted, those rears were made in so few numbers that the brake parts are expensive and hard to find nowadays. Even the simple service parts are expensive from Advance and such places. Being early rear disc technology, they are also heavy and over engineered. Kinda like front discs from the early 60s.

If I found said rear end, I would remove the entire brake setup and eBay it to someone with a 9" that wants the trouble.

Then you can go to a junkyard and find one of the bazillion Exploders made with rear disc 8.8" rears and swipe the entire system off that. Bolt it to the 9" and have a modern system that is lighter than drums and parts are dirt cheap for.
The late rear discs also have an E-brake system that is compatable with your drum brake cable.

From a Craigslist ad:

"1975-1979 Lincoln Versailles were based on the Ford Granada, which, in turn, bolt directly into Mustangs. This means that the rear leaf spacing is identical on these cars."

Is this true, for a '65?

I installed one in my 65 back in 86...to heavy, too expensive to maintain, only has 28 splines, disc parking brakes are worthless. I only run a '30' over 289 without power adders and an 8" with a load bolt works just fine....I also do not drag race the car and I stopped doing foot-on-the-floor-power shifts when I sold the SS-427 Chevelle.

By the time you put 31 or 35 spline axles, posi, rebuild the brakes, buy all the parts to fit in your car you will be half-way to a Heidt's IRS Super-ride.

the biggest advantage to the versailles rear is the housing itself, it's the heavier duty housing with the 3" axle tubes and the tapered center section housing, basically the same housing you'll get on a currie rear end. the brakes are heavy but work pretty well, however the parts can get expensive unless you can find a really good deal on ebay. i had one that i rebuilt for my car with a 3.70 gear and new calipers and rotor plus all new bearings and seals. i only had about 700 bucks
in the whole thing. i had to sell it though because i really needed the cash and the rearend was just sitting there in the garage. the guy i sold it to is very happy though.

my opinion is that if you can get it cheap enough and the rotors are in good shape, go for it. caliper kits are super cheap and easy enough to rebuild as long as the calipers don't have any pits in the bores and the parking brake parts work ok.

*snip*

Is this true, for a '65?

Yep, though the Versailles axle housing fits best in a '67 or later car, the '65-'66 is close enough. IIRC, the housing is a bit longer overall, so even though the spring pads match exactly, each rear wheel is pushed out about 1/4" on the '65. If you're already maxed out on rear wheel and tire size, switching to a Versailles housing might force a tire change to avoid rubbing.

Also, all Versailles axle housings were not alike - some can accept Ford Explorer rear disc brake components in place of the originals. I think the info on bearing size and flange bolt pattern is on Ultrastang's website.

:D I just went on Advance Auto's site and priced the rotors and calipers for a Versaillles. Y'alls claims that this stuff is expensive just got shot to hell.:rlaugh: Depending on what brand parts you buy, it's all pretty much the same prices for Versailles vs a 90's Crown Vic. Some of the Vic rotors are cheaper, but not so much a price difference that would make a rear brake job cost prohibitive. Especially when you'll likely never do another, with a car that's only driven occasionally.:rolleyes:

:D I just went on Advance Auto's site and priced the rotors and calipers for a Versaillles. Y'alls claims that this stuff is expensive just got shot to hell.:rlaugh: Depending on what brand parts you buy, it's all pretty much the same prices for Versailles vs a 90's Crown Vic. Some of the Vic rotors are cheaper, but not so much a price difference that would make a rear brake job cost prohibitive. Especially when you'll likely never do another, with a car that's only driven occasionally.:rolleyes:

And where are those parts made? The rotors AT&T buys that come from China and cost a few dollars less are worthless junk. I'd be extremly wary of ANY 'inexpensive' part from Advance, AutoZone, Pep Boys or any other aftermarket chain store.

And where are those parts made? The rotors AT&T buys that come from China and cost a few dollars less are worthless junk. I'd be extremly wary of ANY 'inexpensive' part from Advance, AutoZone, Pep Boys or any other aftermarket chain store.

Well I guess you're the only person left in the U.S. that doesn't buy Chinese made stuff. :rolleyes: Next time you go into Wally-World, pickup any item and see where it's made. You must live in a cave in the woods.:rlaugh: I don't like this fact any more than others, but it IS a fact of life now. Used to be stuff made in Mexico was junk, before that is was Taiwan and Japan, in addition to stuff made here in the USA in the 70's. EVERY business here buys stuff made overseas, you cannot escape it. To do so would cost you time and money far in excess of what a normal person could afford, so your arguement here is moot. Get a life.:D

Not all parts made in China are premium parts, but then again, neither are all the parts made in America. Just because a brake part is made in the U.S. doesn't automatically mean it will be superior to one that's made overseas.

Some brands are more expensive than others, and some are better in materials/workmanship, but all the parts sold through auto parts stores, in the U.S., have to meet or exceed minimum D.O.T. safety requirements per their application.

Well I guess you're the only person left in the U.S. that doesn't buy Chinese made stuff. :rolleyes: Next time you go into Wally-World, pickup any item and see where it's made. You must live in a cave in the woods.:rlaugh: I don't like this fact any more than others, but it IS a fact of life now. Used to be stuff made in Mexico was junk, before that is was Taiwan and Japan, in addition to stuff made here in the USA in the 70's. EVERY business here buys stuff made overseas, you cannot escape it. To do so would cost you time and money far in excess of what a normal person could afford, so your arguement here is moot. Get a life.:D

How true! I just bought some front end parts for my wife's '65 convertible, I even spent the extra bucks buying all Moog parts. Guess where they're made-- China!

The rotors AT&T buys that come from China and cost a few dollars less are worthless junk. I'd be extremly wary of ANY 'inexpensive' part from Advance, AutoZone, Pep Boys or any other aftermarket chain store.

My work van at the Big Ma Bell has to have new front brakes about every year and a half. Yes the van is big, but we really don't put that much mileage on it either.

One of my coworkers just put new rotors on his personal big Ford and the rotors were warped right out of the box! I don't know where they were made.

My stereo system is ALL made in the USA (Crown amps, tuner, pre-amp, e-q, JBL L-100 and L-150's, Rabco and Empire turntables). When I buy something as important as brakes I demand they be made here or Europe. I really like BREMBO like the ones on my BMW R1150-rt. My Colt 1911 and my Springfield Armory 1911 and my Ruger single six and my Ruger Mini-14 and my Auto Ordinance Thompson short barrell are all made here.
As for your statement about living in a cave in the woods...well I'd much rather live there than in YOUR neighborhood. Do you really want to turn this into a flame war by going personal, DH.:hail2:

there is a ton of stuff made in china nowadays but not all of it, sometimes it's just really hard to know for sure anymore. everything Edelbrock makes is made in the USA but they are one of very few manufacturers that still does that, well actually a lot of the big name performance companies are USA only

...When I buy something as important as brakes I demand they be made here or Europe. I really like BREMBO like the ones on my BMW R1150-rt. ...
As for your statement about living in a cave in the woods...well I'd much rather live there than in YOUR neighborhood. Do you really want to turn this into a flame war by going personal, DH.:hail2:

In fact, Brembo has rotors manufactured for them in China.

Making a brake rotor is not rocket science. They are a fairly simple Iron casting with extensive but basic machining. The metallurgy is very simple. These kind of products are best manufactured where labor is cheap, governments are friendly to industry, and capital is available.

US manufacturers attacked the price of the product, not the quality, in lobbying our government to place high tariffs on Chinese made rotors. Now, nearly all rotors sold in the US are at least cast in Asia.

My stereo system is ALL made in the USA (Crown amps, tuner, pre-amp, e-q, JBL L-100 and L-150's, Rabco and Empire turntables). When I buy something as important as brakes I demand they be made here or Europe. I really like BREMBO like the ones on my BMW R1150-rt. My Colt 1911 and my Springfield Armory 1911 and my Ruger single six and my Ruger Mini-14 and my Auto Ordinance Thompson short barrell are all made here.

The only flamer here seems to be you. You're the one keeps attacking the advice and recommendations others give. There are many other quality choices other than the expensive parts you choose, which have been clearly proven by others to be the same "junk"(in your words) made overseas that we may be buying. And this is a car forum, what bearing does your gun collection have to do with anything here ? And I'm pleased as hell you don't live in my neighborhood.:rlaugh: Keep on, I can flame with the best of em.

180 Out's original post was to simply ask if the spring perches of the Versailles would match that of a '65 Mustang. Unfortunately for 180 Out's sake, this post has gone "180 out" of what he was wanting to know.

To answer your question, yes the spring perches line up. Yes, it will fit under a '65-70 Mustang.

Brake parts can be purchased for the Versailles. Some are expensive, some are not so expensive. It's just your call as to what brand you buy, and how much you want to spend.

Are there better choices over the Versailles brake setup? Yes, but if a Versailles is what you want, and you're happy with it, what does it matter to anyone else but you?

In fact, Brembo has rotors manufactured for them in China.

Making a brake rotor is not rocket science. They are a fairly simple Iron casting with extensive but basic machining. The metallurgy is very simple. These kind of products are best manufactured where labor is cheap, governments are friendly to industry, and capital is available.

US manufacturers attacked the price of the product, not the quality, in lobbying our government to place high tariffs on Chinese made rotors. Now, nearly all rotors sold in the US are at least cast in Asia.

NOT the ones on BMW or Ducati...don't know about the rest of them because the only bikes I ride are German, Italian, or American (old, kick-start only American), you know, the ones tghat shifted on the RIGHT side.:flag: