versailles rear end

351w_swap

May 23, 2004
I built a 9 inch versailles rear end a couple months ago with the intention of putting it in my 65. It has a rebuilt center section with 3.70 gears, trac loc and 28 spline axles. This thing is set up but I am going with a fourlink setup and with my minitub, I kind of want to narrow the rear a little. I feel guilty for hacking up a perfectly good versailles rear and am tempted to sell it and start over. Ive got a little over $700 into it, what is it worth after sand blasting, painting and replacing the calipers? I need to decide if I can sell it and build what I want for about the same price. I know that it will depend on the shop but how much have you guys put into narrowing rears and resplining the axles to fit your car? I can get another 9 inch setup for $125 without trac loc and a new center section for $400. If I can get $900 out of my versailles rear, can I get the new rear (31 spline) resplined and shortened for under $350? Any help would be appreciated, thanks

• Sponsors (?)

can't answer your question on axle mod costs, but I hope you aren't using the axles that came with the rearend unless you've had them thoroughly checked out by a machine shop. i had one of my axles break and when it broke it took the whole center section with it!