VERY noob question haha.

autumn_again

Oct 2, 2007
Hamilton, NJ
well, i installed the pullies today with my brother, and we took it for a cruise.

i was getting on it a little bit when i had the chance, and was shifting generally around 5000 RPMs.

he was saying that i should take it a little bit higher. he told me to look at the horsepower rating for my car and see where it makes its most HP, and shift there.

i'm reading on the mustang forum time line that its around 215 horsepower at 4200 RPMs.

is this where i would want to shift? it seems like thats real low.

my dad used to race, and my brother used to race, but they both haven't been into it for over 10 years.

it seems like that would be real low, but at the same time, i don't want to be sitting there revving the engine and not going anywhere.

i'm basically stock, i've got 3.73s going in soon, just waiting for a good day to do them.
i've got a rebuilt t-5 with astro performance gears. stock 3.08s in the rear, weld in flowmasters, and the underdrive pullies.

i'm planning on ordering a offroad x pipe maybe tomorrow or so.

• Sponsors (?)

Well, take a look, is there any reason you should rev any higher? Maybe 4700-4802 rpms

but the best way is to learn yourself.....

yeah, i wish i could find a place to just take a day and just practice driving, but its hard cause i can't/don't want to mess around on the streets.

i know i could go to the track, but i don't know how much i'd be able to tell from one day, not sure how many passes i could get in, and its pretty far till the nearest track.

so judging from that i should shift at around 4,000 rpms?

with stock heads and intake, there's no point in going over 5000rpm, the engine starves for air at that point. I personally found shifting between 4500-4800rpm to be a good bit quicker. But yeah, you're right to know not to mess-around too much on public roads :nice:

yeah, i wish i could find a place to just take a day and just practice driving, but its hard cause i can't/don't want to mess around on the streets.

i know i could go to the track, but i don't know how much i'd be able to tell from one day, not sure how many passes i could get in, and its pretty far till the nearest track.

so judging from that i should shift at around 4,000 rpms?

Why are you putting performance mods on your car if you don't want to mess around on the streets with it and it isn't a track car? It's a Mustang, have some funs with it, sheesh.

Why are you putting performance mods on your car if you don't want to mess around on the streets with it and it isn't a track car? It's a Mustang, have some funs with it, sheesh.

oh im definitely going to be bringing it to the track.

i just dont have time during the school year. so this summer i'll be able to bring it alot.

and whenever i get an opening i'll give it a nice go on the street, but im not into street racing, and its too crowded to screw around most of the time.