Victor Sr Vs Cobra Intake

Greeny8

Dec 16, 2016
Maryland
First off thanks for the help! I have a 93 Mustang, I am building a 306, all forged internals, Eldebrock performer heads, scorpion Roller rockers, DSS Girdle, Trick Flow Stage One Can, and Cobra upper n lower, vortec V2 Blower 9lbs ( have the 12lbs pulley too) of boost, 373 gear, 5 speed car. I currently have the engine out and am looking to add a bit more to the engine, I want to see what you guys think I should do and reasons why. I have a Victor Sr upper and lower, some have said it's too much intake, some have said to put an Anderson Blower can in and add the Victor it it will really open the air up and let her breath. I've tried to search Victor vs Cobra but not much info. And the Little I seen on the Anderson Vs the trick flow can almost made me think they are comparable. Like I said I already have the victor Sr and the Cobra, which would give me my best performance option and if I need to add more cam what would u recommend? My goal is to get in the mid to low 10's. I know I'm grasping but we all wanna go fast!! Thanks for the help again guys!!

• Sponsors (?)

The cobra makes power lower in the rpm band but will become a choke point. The Victor Sr is a better choice IMO, it will breather much better in the upper RPM where the blower is making power.

If the engine is out and you really want to add more performance across the board. I would have a custom cam made for the engine combination. This will eek out the most power and have better drivability than anything off the shelf. They don't cost as much as you think.

Reactions: 1 users
Your heads are the biggest restriction. The victor intake will flow more air than the heads. Not really going to change performance much other than slightly reducing lowend torque. The block is only good to about 450-500rwhp anyway. The girdle doesn't add any structural integrity to the block. Same with the forged internals(way stronger than the block itself). You won't want to increase rpms above 6000 with that block. At around that speed and cylinder pressure(boost) you're going to be pushing the block hard. This will increase the blocks webbing to flex and eventually fail(or allow the crank to walk or both). I would keep it as is and enjoy the car.

I didn't know they made a victor sr (didn't even find it in a search).

As for victor vs cobra, they are on opposite ends of the spectrum. One is for a mild street car, one is for a race car.

You run a stage 1 cam which is good for 2000-5500rpm and an intake known for power from 4000-7500rpm.

I think you need to choose a route, a good race car or a good street car.
You have street heads and cam and a race car intake. In other words, it's not going to do either very well.

The 306 girdle and forged internals isnt' much if any different than a stock 302, same rule as always applies, the block splits before the internals break.

If it were me, i'd sell both those intakes and buy an rpmII which has something like a 1000-6000rpm operating range and reset the goals to low 11's, high 10's if you are lucky.
This way you spend more time driving the car than fixing it. Heavy boost through mediocre heads is a recipe for blown head gaskets and ask any of these guys what they think of doing head gaskets multiple times with a blower on the car...

If you bend it till you break it, it's going to be a whole lot of money and time to fix the damage.

As for a custom cam, they are about $400, I don't think i'd blow that much money matching a cam to performer heads.

Reactions: 1 user
There is something that needs to be cleared up here. The victor sr intake does not have an upper and lower plenum, unless edelbrock has released something I'm unaware of in the last couple of months. There IS an edelbrock RPM and RPM II intake that that both have upper and lowers. The Vic is a carb style 4150 the needs an elbow to run a stock style throttle body.. so to help us out, what exactly are we really working with here?

FYI- I have a stock bottom end, tfs cam, same heads, rpm II intake and turbo. On 9-10 psi I made 450 rwhp/489rwtq. The tuner refused to turn it up anymore for fear of splitting the block. I called him chicken, but he didn't want to be responsible for my broken chit.

Reactions: 3 users
IMG_0991.PNG
FYI- I have a stock bottom end, tfs cam, same heads, rpm II intake and turbo. On 9-10 psi I made 450 rwhp/489rwtq. The tuner refused to turn it up anymore for fear of splitting the block. I called him chicken, but he didn't want to be responsible for my broken chit.
I was assuming this intake

I don't think the intake will have much bearing on the output... I run a parker Funnel Web drilled for injectors with an elbow, 3500-7500 rpm range with gt40 heads, 8psi average. I made 380 rwtq at 2500 rpm.

I don't think the intake will have much bearing on the output... I run a parker Funnel Web drilled for injectors with an elbow, 3500-7500 rpm range with gt40 heads, 8psi average. I made 380 rwtq at 2500 rpm.
A vortec to an eaton is an apples to oranges comparison.
The eaton starts to make power right away, the vortech makes it much later.

I wonder how well the ports line up. I assume they will be fine(being both edelbrock products). I have heard that intake doesn't line up well with AFR heads(needs a slight part job). I also thought all the performer heads were 1.90 intake valved. Been awhile since I looked at there dimensions. I thought you had to jump to the rpm heads. My bad. Not enough coffee this morning lol.

I wonder how well the ports line up. I assume they will be fine(being both edelbrock products). I have heard that intake doesn't line up well with AFR heads(needs a slight part job). I also thought all the performer heads were 1.90 intake valved. Been awhile since I looked at there dimensions. I thought you had to jump to the rpm heads. My bad. Not enough coffee this morning lol.

You know, I think I'm the one that needs the coffee. Mine are performer rpm. They are 2.02. Looks like the performers are 1.90, but I'd still put that intake over a cobra on it.:shrug:

Thanks for all the info and different opinions. The picture above is the intake, I'm referring too. I'm open to the custom cam idea as well. I was looking around 300 for a Anderson, what's another 100bucks at this point. I do understand the block limitations, but honestly if she comes apart then I'll put the stock motor back in sell her n buy a roller n get a 351 n start the next build. I got this car for an extremely low price, and he had the second block with forged internals and Elderbrock heads, Blower, to go with it, other than the items i bought, DSS, ARP stud kits, new crushed metal head gaskets and my time, I'm in this thing for less than 2 gran! I know it's crazy but it must have been my lucky day!! I want this car to turn some heads, I want it to surprise people on the street, n put up good numbers at the track. It's not my daily driver, but I do want reliability when I take the wife or kids out around town on Saturday or Sunday. So the best set up to put me right on the limit is where I wanna be. I'm not hard on it every ride but when I need it I want the power. Thanks again guys this forum is great, and your knowledge and opinions are unmatched!!

For the power you're going to make with the blower, the intake/head/cam argument is kind of a moot point in my opinion. If the car were still N/A, it would be a completely different argument, but since you are stuffing air into the cylinders, it's going to behave a lot differently. I'd pick an intake, stick it on, and spend my money on a cam that controls how the air gets into the cylinders. That's going to have the most room for improvement. As said, the heads are your flow bottle neck, followed by the cam events.